Hefe Wheat Beer Finished?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCraggen

Reaction score
G'day again guys,

Just wondering if my wheat beer could be done allready? I put the batch on last tuesday and it has stopped bubbling, (it bubbled like a prick for about 3 days), pertenent details follow:

2kg brewcraft wheat malt B.E.
500G LDME
25g Halleratau
125g Wheetbix
30g flour, about 1 tblspn
wyeast 3638
volume 23L

The FG seems to be: 10.07 or thereabouts,

Im guessing its done now due to the relatively low volume of malt, (the brewcraft wheat malt contains dextrose/corn syrup).

Anyone have a rough idea?

Dont mention the airlock for goodness sake! :p

I assume that is a typo, and FG is 1.007 (not 10.07?).

If its steady for 24 - 48 hours, then it is ready.

Looks like a good way to eat my weetbix too! ;)

McCraggen

if the FG remains the same in a 24 hour period then it would be done

wheats can be all over in 5 days especially if brewed at 20+, my current weizen was brewed out in 6 days at 20 degrees

BTW what's with the weetbix/flour (you trying to have beer for breakfast aren't you)?

haha, guess im busted then ;) well those wacky germans got one thing right with their "breakfast beers" and you can blame swinging beef for the seemingly wacky ingredient suggestions, but hell its one tasty beer!

haha, guess im busted then ;) well those wacky germans got one thing right with their "breakfast beers" and you can blame swinging beef for the seemingly wacky ingredient suggestions, but hell its one tasty beer!

nice recipe mate im going to have to give this one a go

add it to the long growing list of recipes ineed to try!

cheers
carty

I used 250g of Aldi Weet Bix in a Hefe on top of a 50/50 Pils/Wheat grain mix. WB-06 yeast @ 18C produced some VERY potent banana notes, and at 6.2% it's a quite a big brew. I was a bit worried about the salt levels, but can't detect anything in the wort.

What is the purpose of using the weetbix and flour?

You won't be getting any fermentables from them unless you do a mash with some malted grain (apart from any sugar already in the weetbix)

Kabooby :)

I think the flour is added for additional cloudiness. There was a letter to the ed in the latest BYO mag about adding flour to acheive cloudiness in wheat beers, but i have only skimmed it.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Latest posts

Back