Heat Up Your Chimay Rouge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
From here

No idea what made them try it, and I don't even have a fireplace to give it a go myself :p

Beers,
Doc

RedHotRouge.jpg

Yuck!

Mulled Trappist. :blink: Dunno about that. :ph34r:

Warren -

You certtainly find them Doc :) ...

Actually I think it would be rather nice - had mulled wine on many occaisions - maybe one to taste on the next brewers gathering...

cheers Ross

Hot beer?

C'mon Ross. Getting back to your Pommy roots? :lol: :p

Warren -

Poker? I hardly even know 'er.

According to the article the beer doesn't get to warm. Don't know if I'd be a fan of it though.

As the poker is slowly stirred into the beer, the already decent trappist head rises dramatically, becoming even more creamy. The beer does not really get very hot, though, but it takes on some really interesting smokey flavours teaming up nicely with the caramelising sugars.

Beers,
Doc

c'mon kai never stopped ya before!!!!!! :p :p :p

Certainly worth a try.
Especially if it's someone's else's shout, or you're in Belgium and the price is right! :beerbang:

Kook, can U help out on this one? A weekend trip and some feedback to the group, perhaps?

TIA
Seth :p

warrenlw63 said:
Hot beer?

C'mon Ross. Getting back to your Pommy roots? :lol: :p

Warren -
[post="103038"][/post]​

Mulled ale heated with a poker was a traditional winter nightcap in parts of the UK in the 17-1800's.

Works better with a dark ale. Apparently the hot poker gives a caramel flavour. I've been meaning to give it a go but having no fireplace makes it dificult. I could heat up a length of metal with a blowtorch but it doesn't have the same feel to it...

Might wait till I'm on holidays somewhere cold.

Cheers Dave

I'll give it a go! I've got a poker at home - I'll just stick it in the BBQ burner for a bit. I might just try half a glass first, then taste half of that and put the rest in the freezer for some cooling off then try it at normal (trappist) drinking temps and compare it with the non-pokered beer left in the bottle. I'll report back with my findings!

Cheers - Snow.

Snow said:
I'll give it a go! I've got a poker at home - I'll just stick it in the BBQ burner for a bit. I might just try half a glass first, then taste half of that and put the rest in the freezer for some cooling off then try it at normal (trappist) drinking temps and compare it with the non-pokered beer left in the bottle. I'll report back with my findings!

Cheers - Snow.
[post="103242"][/post]​

Try it with a good pommy ale too if you have one.

Back