Heat Belt Or Pad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster....

I'm just about to set up my first fermenting fridge, having just bought one of the cheapy digi controllers off fleabay.

Question: Does it matter if i use a heat belt or heat pad in this set up? Which is better?

i currently own a belt so hoping this will be ok?

cheers

If you didn't have the belt already I'd say get a heating pad but it really doesn't matter which one you use. People on the forum have been using light globes as a heat source. Doesn't really matter what you use as long as it's capable of keeping that constant temperature you're after.

Good Luck!

Use a heat pad. They are more expensive than a belt but can be used as a space heater (hence inside your fridge with temp control). Belts can only be used on the fermenter and won't give you a temp reading (unless you have a digital thermometer in your fermenter connected to your controller).

I'll make this thread into a proper question and answer thread and choose the unpopular option. I much prefer belts.

Theyre cheaper for one, but most importantly (IMO) theyre heating the wort, not the trub. I feel funny about applying heat directly to the trub and yeast lying at the bottom of the fermenter, and I've read in a few places that it's not a great idea. My belt sits just above the trub., so probably doesnt do it as much.

A controller is pretty important too, or you will easily overheat your beer with either. I have a mashmaster controller with its temp probe taped to the outside of the fermenter under a bit of foam. Works a treat :)

I use a heat pad but don't place it under the fermenter, it sits against the rear wall of the fridge. I figure that way Im not heating the trub

I use a belt and find it overheats things too much. I regret not getting a heat pad, however Sammus' post is a revelation.
I didn't realise a temperature controller would do the trick. I'll be getting one.

I spotted an imersion heater at my LHBS the other day - looked pretty good and had a inbuilt thermostat with a temperature dial. Also no dodgy rubber flaps like the ones in the old days.

I've used both the imersion heater and heating pads and I wouldn't go near the imersion heaters again. They just increase the risk of infection and are just another thing that'll need cleaning. The heating pads do just as good of a job

is the heat pad issue with it directly heating the trub a genuine concern? I just bought a heat pad...what affect will the heating of the trub have on my beer?

The theory is that cooking the yeast will lead to autolytic flavours (google autolysis). Careful and watchful maintenance should see you through with either belt or pad - monitor it every hour or so and switch off when the right temp is reached.

Remember fermentation produces heat and 20 litres is a large mass so if the actual brew is at 20 then it will stay at 20 for a while, particularly if actively fermenting. A heat belt or pad to bring it to temp, a blanket or fridge to keep it there while the belt or pad gets switched off will work.

To measure temp without fancy equipment, get a good stick thermometer and measure your hydrometer sample. The stick on thermometers on fermenters are not to be relied upon.

I use a heatbelt (because I got it for free, yay FreeCycle).
At the back of my fridge I have 2 x 12V fans to circulate the air, between those I hang the belt, so it acts as a 'space heater' and is not in direct contact with the fermenter - works great so far.

Immersion heaters are the go in colder climates. Sanitation is as normal , thorough.

I use a belt in my fridge

I decided to just run it down the side

Works a treat

med_gallery_7556_294_309132.jpg

Back