Heat belt, heat pad or something else?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheWiggman said:
Got mine from Beer Belly. Comes with a grommet that is very tight. I drilled a 12.5mm hole (well two after destroying my first lid) and it fits together perfectly. Very snug and just barely pushes through, allowing the height to be adjusted because the thermowell won't move.
Is the probe fairly loose inside the thermowell? seem like a 7mm ID would be very large, and give poor contact between thermowell and probe as a result?

TheWiggman said:
That sounds like a complex way to start a fire.

hermaan, a thermowell allows any probe to be inserted and forms an airtight seal. It is possible to dangle a probe in provided it is sanitised (more common with glad wrap I understand) but forming a seal is difficult on a fermenter with a lid, typically because the sensor is thicker than the wire.
And also the sensor wire isn't round (2 wires side by side (like audio speaker wire)) making it even harder to seal against.

So the thermowell has a end, and the temp probe sits there and not in the wort? Sorry to keep going over the same topic. Lots to learn.

herman4x4 said:
So the thermowell has a end, and the temp probe sits there and not in the wort? Sorry to keep going over the same topic. Lots to learn.
Yep, spot on. You could say that it's shielded by the stainless thermowell.

herman4x4 said:
Yep. Don't be afraid of asking questions.
Worth noting that you don't need a thermowell, it's just a more accurate way to measure temp. You can stick a probe on the side of the fermenter and insulate around it with some polystyrene or stubbie cooler material. That pic was my lager fermenter, my other one has it stuck to the side. Both methods work fine for most applications.

Thanks guys. Has given me something to think about. Hopefully picking fridge up on Saturday.

Spiesy said:
Big vote for low wattage infrared ceramic heat lamp from me.

No damaging UV rays, no direct contact, gentle heat (less chance of over shooting your mark) and safer that some other methods.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm looking at getting one of these ceramic heat lamps off ebay. It's giving me a choice of 50W,75W,100W or 150W bulbs. Can someone give me some advice on the wattage I should get?

The fridge I'm using to ferment in is about 100L and only fits 1 FV at a time. Hooked up to an STC1000.

Thanks

btrots87 said:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm looking at getting one of these ceramic heat lamps off ebay. It's giving me a choice of 50W,75W,100W or 150W bulbs. Can someone give me some advice on the wattage I should get?
The fridge I'm using to ferment in is about 100L and only fits 1 FV at a time. Hooked up to an STC1000.
Thanks
The 50 should be fine. Personal opinion no experience.

Back