Heat After Fermentations Finsihed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloneldom

Reaction score
G'day guys,

Bit of a weird question here, but anyway. I've just put down an Australian draught beer and in an attempt to keep the wort cool (which has been a big problem for me) I place the tub in a bin, surrounded by ice and water and covered with a towel. Hoepfully this will work, but my main question is, once the fermentation stops and I move the tub out of the bin, will it be ok for it to get a bit hot, while I wait for any sediment that got stirred up while I was moving it to settle? If that makes sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Cool temperature will be best, if you can leave it in a cool temperature while in the fermenter I would say you are better to bottle or keg straight away rather than exposing it to high temps.

Pok

My only worry is pokolbinguy, is that when I move it our of my "specially designed" cooling bin, I will stir up a fair bit of sediment, so should I let it settle and get a bit hot or bottle it straight away?

During fermentation yeast produce by products, not after. If you want to move the fermenter to ambient temp following fermentation thats fine, remember though that bugs love warmer temps, so infection risk is higher.

Even if you do manage to stir some sediment up, leave it for a day or two and it will resettle.

Just a crazy idea,

what about if you leave it untouched in the cooler bin
and when you are ready to bottle, siphon it out the top
into a bottling bucket?

You'd need a racking cane of exactly the right length to do this though.

Good beer is worth all extra efforts.

What do you mean by hot anyway? Up to the mid 20s for a few days shouldn't be too much of a problem.

MFS.

Yeah it'd only be mid to high 20s, so I think I will let it settle for a couple of days out of the cooler. RobboMC, haha I have no idea what a racking cane is or how I'd go about buying/making one!

Latest posts

Back