Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyyu

Reaction score
brew "coopers real ale"
recipe 1. coopers real ale pack
2. 600 dex
3. 400 ldm
4. 250g golden syrup
5. 10g fuggles boil 10 min
6. tbag fuggles 3 days
7. kit yeast.
8. bulk primed 23 l with 200g dex@21degrees c
carbonation is good but i have no head on beer , there is chill haze in beer also used cold glass,is the beer to cold or too young,bottled for fourteen days :D

The beer/glass being cold should help keep the head. How do you wash you beers glasses? Detergent left on the glass will kill any chance of getting a good head.

Sort of :icon_offtopic: but, what was the OG of that brew there heyyu? Looks to be quite a strong brew.

Back on topic, looks like more than enough malt in there to give you a decent head, but I'm not sure how the dextrose or honey would/can effect head when mixed with dme in such large quantities. Someone else might have an answer here I think.

Sort of :icon_offtopic: but, what was the OG of that brew there heyyu? Looks to be quite a strong brew.

Back on topic, looks like more than enough malt in there to give you a decent head, but I'm not sure how the dextrose or honey would/can effect head when mixed with dme in such large quantities. Someone else might have an answer here I think.

I think you'll find the quantities aren't as much as first glance....his ingredients are in a numbered list. Caught me for a second, too....

As for the head issues...there is an article, link in my sig. First step is to clean the glasses properly...there is an excellent method in the article

2.600 dex
4.250g golden syrup

These are most likly the root of your problem, you need more dextrins to aid in head retention. Next time sub these for equivilant of DME or sub 1/2 for a steep of carapils.

Dont use frozen/fridged glasses either, not to mention they taste like the meat in your freezer or last nights curry they can throw the temp balance out of whack when you pour your beer. effecting the foam. A simple thorough rinse beofre filling is all i do and ever will do with my glasses. Oh and wash in the dishwasher, not the sink.

dont know mate bit pissed when i brewed it , not bad though a little bitter maybe :rolleyes:

I think you'll find the quantities aren't as much as first glance....his ingredients are in a numbered list. Caught me for a second, too....

As for the head issues...there is an article, link in my sig. First step is to clean the glasses properly...there is an excellent method in the article

Ahh, my bad, I was reading it as 2.6kg & 3.4kg

dont know mate bit pissed when i brewed it , not bad though a little bitter maybe :rolleyes:

Bitter? With only 10g of hops contributing to any bitterness at all? Does anyone know of any infections that cause bitterness and effects head formation/retention.

A simple thorough rinse beofre filling is all i do and ever will do with my glasses. Oh and wash in the dishwasher, not the sink.

Fine and well if you're not having any head issues. For the most part, that's all I do as well (although I do give them the bicarb/acid treatment every couple of weeks as a matter of course, or if I've been eating greasy food whilst drinking beer).

But from the perspective of someone that is having head retention problems, I think a more thorough clean is pretty much required, if for no other reason than to conclusively eliminate glassware as a possibility.

HB79 - I think it's more likely that the OP's perception of what is or isn't bitter is somewhat different to yourself. Particularly if a new brewer, that's used to bland mega beers. ;)

Persoally I would up the malt and down the dex (by a fair bit), see if that helps first, then try the maltodextrin, or even better, use some carapils if happy to steep some grain, that way you'll add a cleaner/more grainy taste as opposed to the MD

the bitterness is only for the first bite ,once youve got the taste ok . ive got a missus and two daughters so it doesnt have to be too bitter for their taste. ;)

Persoally I would up the malt and down the dex (by a fair bit), see if that helps first, then try the maltodextrin, or even better, use some carapils if happy to steep some grain, that way you'll add a cleaner/more grainy taste as opposed to the MD

I agree with all these points....
funnily enough, some dashingly handsome, witty, charming, genius mentions these points in prior threads, that was the inspiration for the aforementioned article. :lol:

Fine and well if you're not having any head issues. For the most part, that's all I do as well (although I do give them the bicarb/acid treatment every couple of weeks as a matter of course, or if I've been eating greasy food whilst drinking beer).

Duely noted butters! ;) The amount of times i have experienced head issues with HB has never related to glassware and residual soaps/grease, moreso to the ingredients used. Not saying it should be dismissed, but more so the unlikly culprit for poor retention with spritzy simple sugar kits.

Maybe its because i always wash my beer glasses in the Dishwasher. High temperatues minus the use of sink detergent and using oxygen based cleaners is probabaly the real winner.

Bitter? With only 10g of hops contributing to any bitterness at all? Does anyone know of any infections that cause bitterness and effects head formation/retention.
The coopers real ale can is quite bitter.. :)

Latest posts

Back