Head Retention

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
G'day all,

I've been doing a few cans of malt, dme and adding hops - and have been noticing a distinct lack of head as a rule. I've read bits and pieces here about steeping some grain to make for better head.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to "steeping".

Why does this work? What's in the grain that makes for better surface tension?

Thanks.

Cheers - just what I needed. Will steep.

That "How to Brew" site is really good. I wondered why some grains didn't need to be mashed.

When I do the odd K&K, especially simple lagers, I will steep 150g each of carapils and wheat malt and add to the mix. You wont get a thick creamy head like a stout, but you will get an initial head that reduces by the time you finish the glass.

When I do the odd K&K, especially simple lagers, I will steep 150g each of carapils and wheat malt and add to the mix. You wont get a thick creamy head like a stout, but you will get an initial head that reduces by the time you finish the glass.

Wheat needs to be mashed dunnit?

That "How to Brew" site is really good. I wondered why some grains didn't need to be mashed.

Yep... it is a great resource - I used the online version a bunch a times and then ponied up the $$ for my own copy, well worth it.

Brendo

Thanks fellas. I ordered some Weyermann Carapils and enough different hops varieties to keep me guessing for a year... :icon_cheers:

Back