Hazards Using Glad-wrap Instead Of Lid.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a wrapper too, and no problems here.
I purchased another fermenter yesterday (not from my LHBS) and the first thing i did was throw the lid in the bin. (after removing the rubber seal..)

Sounds like you need to go to a better LHBS.

Mine tried to sell me some Saflager S-23 yesterday when i went in looking for Safale US05.

Knobhead...

Do you store your cheese at 18degC? You might see an issue if you did.

Not saying a gladwrap lid is a bad idea (I do it myself) - just saying drtomc's suggestion isn't a ludicrous one.

Nope by my sandwiches do get up to 18c, and the nuts in the bowl I covered with glad wrap that is sitting in the kitchen would be almost up to 25c (being a 25 degree day)

QldKev

I hope you don't leave your sandwiches for 2 weeks at room temp before you eat them though. Mind you the mould won't be from any bugs that might be on the cling film. :)

Your body contains about 100 trillion cells. Your body hosts about 300 trillion bacteria. Do you imagine the tomato is much different? :)

T.

hey crambo, if the issue is only the airlock take it out and put a crown top over the hole. problem solved.

Falling in is possible with gladwrap. Secure footing before checking Krausen.
There must be a poster here somewhere who has done a Krausendunk.

mil1l3.jpg

There's your problem...

be_still_cat.jpg

You didn't wrap the cat first....

when i was 18 my LHBS told me i had to have an airlock, even with gladwrap lid. So i drilled a hole in the side of the fermenter and held an airlock in place with bluetak. I'm not sure if my beer got infected, it tasted like shit, but i think that was the LHBS's recommendation that i use an aquarium heater to keep my brew @ 24C, rather than infection.

The condensation is from inside the fermenter so will be the same no matter what 'lid' you decide to use.
So very true, I have no idea of what the LHBS is thinking if they do not think there is condensation under the lid.
The biggest hazard with using glad wrap instead of a lid is that little people can poke their fingers through glad wrap. That and if you drop something on the fermenter it won't bounce off the lid.
Little people, animals and their toys, but if you have a fermenting fridge both of thsoe should not be a problem.
or was he showing you his new super fermenter?
I can't imagine that sales of airlocks, lids and gromits make up fro much of their profits, but who knows.

I put the lid on and cover that with gladwrap poke holes in it with scissors and then wrap an occy strap around it to keep it in place.

Never had any problems.

I have been warned that using gladwrap instead of the lid with my fermenter can lead to problems with the condensation etc. I currently have a batch of dark lager going in the fridge sitting at 13DegC and am gettig paranoid about it. There is no way i can fit my fermenter in the fridge using a bubbler airlock. Can someone elaborate on the problems with gladwrap and how to prevent them? Cheers
I've become a recent convert to using gladwrap.
Can't believe I spent years washing lids and airlocks for nothing!
No need to poke holes.
Good to see what's going on, too.

My LHBS told me to buy turbo yeast and a metal pot thingo with a condensor thingo at the top and then come back for some little bottles of stuff called Granpaws old hickory southern special etc.

My LHBS told me that fermenting beer without temp control with the days peaking at 40 deg was fine they will just finish a little quicker. Quick alright! 2 days ferment 3 days in bottles and your set to drink metho/spew/ some other nastie shit that no one ever wants to taste

Only issue I've had with glapwrap was when the Krauzen exploaded and pushed the gladwrap off! Exposing the wort
But all ended up ok
Make sure u sanitize the glad wrap to!

Alternatively what u can do is buy a brigalow airlock thing
Grind the end down a bit and it should fit on top of the fermenter inside ur fridge, this is what I had to do to get my 30l fermenter in the bar fridge
Unfortunately u dont get the awesome blurp blurp from it all the time

never sanitised it once as far as I knew it already comes sanitised. and for bugs to get inbetween the layers once its opened would be pretty hard. I know there is a possibility of them having something on there, but with no infections yet and god knows how many brews (1-2 a week for over a year and a half with cling wrap) I will keep using it

Maybe he/she was talking about condensation from the fridge, dripping onto the gladwrap making it heavy, and then falling into the brew?

just flip the old lid upside down (gladwrap being the 'new lid') and rest it in top of the neck of the fv. it should work with any fv that comes with a lid

the beauty with this is you can still attach a grommet and airlock to appease the LHBS, even though it does sweet **** all

recon i should take a big stick into my LHBS and whack him/her on the head every time they leak bullshit...actually i'd better take 2 sticks :ph34r:

Back