Hazards Using Glad-wrap Instead Of Lid.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes open fermentation is around prob not so much as it used to but from what I have seen you need fermentation to start fast and when it dies down you have to transfer to finish it off. As the yeast extract co2 so while fermenting there is a blanket of c02 over the wort but if left to long then the risk of infection is great so they have to be strict with how they do it. I wanted to try it once but I dont have time to go oh now I gotto transfer it. By the time I figured that out it be to late :p

Wineries usually (?) use open fermentation for primary too.
"Cheap" sparkling / champagne is carbonated in a closed FV, but thats the secondary.
The good sparkling wine / champagne is bottle conditioned.
Layer of CO2 seems to work for them.
I believe White Rabbit (Victoria) use open fermentation for their beers too.

Layer of glad wrap works for me. :)

The only hazard of cling wrap is that:

1) You will really like it, in fact, like it so much that it will become hazardous to your fermenter lid as you will likely chuck it out or neglect it and never use it again.
2) Your fermeneter lid will feel lonely and rejected
3) You will wonder why you didnt break up with your lid sooner and switch to cling wrap

Hazardous stuff is good ol' cling wrap....

What is it with LHBS operators and not having a F...... clue about brewing, mine doesn't even brew. I ask for some advice on some product and get the reply " Ahhh....Emmmm....Ahhh...This is a good product.....It ahhh....What does the instructions say....." I'm an amature brewer to say the least but i'm finding i know more about brewing and have more interest than them...WTF LHBS Owners! What a great way to send there customers out the door empty handed and look elswhere for stuff....Sorry, bit off topic but had to VENT!

What is it with LHBS operators and not having a F...... clue about brewing, mine doesn't even brew. I ask for some advice on some product and get the reply " Ahhh....Emmmm....Ahhh...This is a good product.....It ahhh....What does the instructions say....." I'm an amature brewer to say the least but i'm finding i know more about brewing and have more interest than them...WTF LHBS Owners! What a great way to send there customers out the door empty handed and look elswhere for stuff....Sorry, bit off topic but had to VENT!

Whats that saying about cooks - never trust a skinny one. Perhaps there should be a similar saying about LHBS - never trust one that doesn't brew.

Whats that saying about cooks - never trust a skinny one. Perhaps there should be a similar saying about LHBS - never trust one that doesn't brew.

Never trust a sober one?

No glad wrap here.....These boys can brew a bit too.

m-fermph.jpg

So you also brew in a hermetically sealed environment with positive air pressure through HEPA filtered mechanical air systems? Nice.

I dont understand the level of "poo poo" ing when someone suggested that it might be an idea to sanitise your cling wrap. What is it with homebrewers and trying to get away with being slack about sanitation?

You are putting beer into your fermenter, so while you are doing that... Squirt a little sanitiser onto the cling wrap yiu are about to use as a lid (If you dont already have a container of sanitiser on the bench at this point in time, then your opinion is ipso-facto irrelevant). It takes a grand total of about 3 seconds. How hard is that?

I sanitise everything, absolutely everything, that might come into contact with my beer at any point in its lifecycle after it cools down from boiling, and i just cant understand it when people dont.

Yes, the risk is very small - but its not zero, and the effort to make the issue simply not exist is so damn small.... How lazy can you possibly be?

I work with DNA for a living, so, yes, I am paranoid. :)

Bloody hell, I am made up of DNA! Are you in my office here somewhere? Now you are making me nervous. *looks cautiosly around to see if drtomc is hiding somewhere*

I dont understand the level of "poo poo" ing

I sanitise everything, absolutely everything, that might come into contact with my beer at any point in its lifecycle after it cools down from boiling, and i just cant understand it when people dont.

Maybe post #28 will help you http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry780109

Like your mouth is gunna come into contact with the beer, should you sterilise that man? Yeah man, do you sterilise your yeast? Acid washing my yeast is not my bag baby, the acid is for me man! Peace out dudes...

. . . Like your mouth is gunna come into contact with the beer, should you sterilise that man? . . .

I like to brush my teeth and use mouthwash yes..... Plainly you think they are optional :p

I like to brush my teeth and use mouthwash yes..... Plainly you think they are optional :p

Yeah but beer tastes real awful after you brush your teeth. That means you are drinking beer after breakfast (which I must admit I like to do from time to time) or have a beer on the bedside table?
Generally I brush my teeth no where near the time I am drinking beer.

Oh and here's another ablution tip. Don't brush your teeth in the shower. I did ONCE. I dribbled a bit of foamy toothpaste onto my, er, um, knob and it burnt like all heck. Drinking beer in the shower is ok though; it's pretty much the same process as when drinking beer in a pool except you don't have to feel bad about peeing yourself.

While I was waiting in my LHBS the other day the guy before me comes in before me and says he wants to brew a lager. The guy gives him a packet of lager yeast and tells him to ferment it at room temperature 'it'll be fine'. Then I ask if he has WLP007. 'Errr... I have *some other random yeast with a number containing a 7*'

While I was waiting in my LHBS the other day the guy before me comes in before me and says he wants to brew a lager. The guy gives him a packet of lager yeast and tells him to ferment it at room temperature 'it'll be fine'. Then I ask if he has WLP007. 'Errr... I have *some other random yeast with a number containing a 7*'

Hmmmmm
*runs to the whitepages to find any LHBS in the hills* :rolleyes: Not going there anytime soon!!

Back