Have You Used An Urn As A Mash Tun?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltedhopalong

Reaction score
The below item is a "3-in-1 fermenter". It just so happens that you could potentially attach a condensor to it and make a still. My question is not related to using it as a still though...

First of all let me explain it.

3in1fermenter_sml.jpg

This is what it looks like. The lid comes off.

stillelement_sml.jpg

THis is the 1380W element that is inside. It sits at the height of the plug seen in the previous picture.

I asked the brewshop owner what it was used for in brewing. He said not much, but called it a mash tun. Has anyone used one of these for that purpose? If so, I'd love to find out how!!! If anyone out there has one, what do you use it for?

It looks exactly like the still base I picked up last year.
28 litre volume and boils 23 / 24 litres comfortably. When I pick up a bigger pot I'll use it for an HLT.
I was given one of the 1380W elements and it was useless, added a 2300W element.
The 2300W is a bit over the top for that volume, but it was cheap and got me brewing all grain.

cheers, jaytee

I've just picked up an urn, but hadn't thought of using it for a mash tun. I use it as a HLT and then a boiler with my trusty esky as the mash tun.

You could probably do BIAB in there quite happily. Not sure about batch size though. If you had 4 kg grain and lost 4l water, at best you'd have 20l wort pre-boil, 18 l post boil, 16l into the fermenter.

I wouldn't use it as a fermenter, but I suppose it's possible.

Cheers,
Wrenny

Back