Have You Had A Batch You Not Happy With ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I made a great batch of my brown ale and thought I could drink this forevermore and made 40 litres well the weather got a bit warmer and it fermented out as it should have but perhaps a little further than the last batch .

While OK this forty litres seems never bloody ending .

I dont think I will ever make another forty litre batch .

Consistency is really reliant on controlling the fermenting conditions maybe i got carried away with the ambient temperature .

Do you ever feel dissapointed

Pumpy :blink:

Of the 20 or so batches I've done, I've only been vaguely happy with a few: an extract + grains porter and a few ESB wort kits.

The rest all had that kit twang to varying degrees.

Can't wait to go AG.

I made a great batch of my brown ale and thought I could drink this forevermore and made 40 litres well the weather got a bit warmer and it fermented out as it should have but perhaps a little further than the last batch .

While OK this forty litres seems never bloody ending .

I dont think I will ever make another forty litre batch .

Consistency is really reliant on controlling the fermenting conditions maybe i got carried away with the ambient temperature .

Do you ever feel dissapointed

Pumpy :blink:
Yeah, but then I just relax and have a home brew ! :D

maybe you should do a poll pumpy - do you ever feel dissapointed ? :p

Cant remember what beer it was but im thinking a wheat beer.Anyway i wasnt overly impressed with it so subsequently threw it away.I meet some Adelaide AHB members at the Wheatsheaf hotel and during the course of the night a few rather expensive imported beers where purchased of which i sampled some.Imagine my horror when i mentioned to Chiller that i thought one particularly expensive beer tasted not right and similar to a beer i chucked out and was told no that is what it is meant to taste like.

I was not impressed with my rash desicion to chuck the beer out.Sometimes it helps to taste a commercial sample of the beer you wish to make.

Cheers
Big D

Two times I've had wrong tasting beer: First Ginger Beer, and first time I boiled the wort (although that could have been the warm ferment).

I ended up giving them away to mates who enjoyed them.

couple of infected brew early on then moved on...
9 out of 11 not to bad in 12 months.
still a beginner in this company
will keep trying in 'til i get it right

my last bitter... extremly bitter...still to bottle so there's hope
matti

Cant remember what beer it was but im thinking a wheat beer.Anyway i wasnt overly impressed with it so subsequently threw it away.I meet some Adelaide AHB members at the Wheatsheaf hotel and during the course of the night a few rather expensive imported beers where purchased of which i sampled some.Imagine my horror when i mentioned to Chiller that i thought one particularly expensive beer tasted not right and similar to a beer i chucked out and was told no that is what it is meant to taste like.

I was not impressed with my rash desicion to chuck the beer out.Sometimes it helps to taste a commercial sample of the beer you wish to make.

Cheers
Big D

Hi Big D
But why would you try to make a beer that you don't like :blink: Personally my taste buds don't like wheat beers, so I don't make them.

Normell

I've had a few average kits, I just dont do them again.

Partial man now except for ginger beer and cider.

At the moment got a brigalow ginger thats getting chucked as soon as I have the motivation as it tastes like dirty dishwater.

And a brigalow cider thats getting chucked as well, from 2-5 weeks was great but is now a gusher and the overcarbonation has killed the nice flavour and left it really dry and with the hot weather comming on they are definate bottle bombs..... Just hope I overcome my laziness b4 they go booommmmm!

Besides infected beers the only beer i have made that i haven't liked the taste of was a saison. It was bittered to 29 IBU's with simcoe and using WLP565 belgian saison yeast. The combination of piney simcoe hops and mildly sweet spicey saison beer clashed and left a terrible taste on the tongue. I brewed 23 litres of this beer on the 10/12/05 and i still have 1/4 keg of it in the fridge, unfortunatly it hasnt improved with age :(
I have a couple of friends who dont mind it simply because of its high ABV 6.9% but they rarely come over. I cant wait till its empty! :lol:

I generally like saisons but im not brewing another till this kegs empty.

So moral of the story, dont mix simcoe and saisons. IMO. :)

Cheers,
Hopsta

Now that i think of it there was one other beer that i brewed which tasted like sh*t. It was a hoegarrden clone (when i first started brewing) that was brewed at ~28c which when kegged was the colour of a.... murkey newcastle brown ale and had a "strong dark cloying belgian wheat wrong sort of taste" about it. Then i accidently froze the keg then put it out into the summer sun to defrost wacked it back on tap and it mysteriously changed to the coulour of hoegaarden and tasted not unlike hoegaarden, i dont know how it happended but it did, and was a pretty nice beer in the end.

So moral of the story, dont mix simcoe and saisons. IMO. :)

Cheers,
Hopsta

Whoa, i like Simcoe but a saison? Sounds deadly.

Haven't been too happy with anything i've put Nelson Sauvin into, with a lot of other hops to balance it's OK, but it's one of those real love-it-or-hate-it flavours by itself late in the boil.

The worst batch i have made was one with way too much crystal (my last partial, probably ever), that ended up tasting like toffee lolly syrup. Even the alcohol didn't save it.

I never brew under 40lt and I like that fact that it lasts longer. I don't have to brew as often as you do with your standard 23lt batches. :beerbang:

I'm currently getting 45lt yeilds and honestly would like to up it to 60lt but I don't think my mash tun will support the required grain.

I've only had 2 bad AG's that had to be thrown out. My 1st AG attempt (IRA) and a later Danish lager that got horribly infected due to pitching an under done yeast starter.

Third Brew I ever did was a Hoegaarden K&K with the addes bits and peices. It was rubbish and tasted like dishwater and quite soapy , did the right thing and drank all bar two of them but it was a huge struggle , dont think I will try doing a Hoey again

Aw :beer:

My first attempt at late hopping was a huge disappointment, all cascade at 10mins and dry hopped. For some reason I didnt get any of the flavour or aroma I was after just bitterness :angry:

Cheers
Big D

I did something very similar to this a while back. Wasn't really sure what a wheat beer was supposed to taste like. I brewed it and drunk it, but sort of thought there was something seriously wrong with it. A few weeks after I had finished drinking the batch I had a redback at the pub. A dead ringer!

Jeremy.

Never thrown out a brew....Some i havnt been overly impressed withy but never threw one out.

I was doing Kit extracts (up until now) so its not like there hard to bugga up.

Best - was a ESB 3kg nut brown ale. Still have one long neck left of that but should of seen how fast the keg disapered.

Worst - Prob a coopers bitter can. Was just plain nothing extra put in. Was pretty bitter and just no flavour much like a vb or somthing.

I started doing 40LT brews for a while but decided against it as i would have two kegs of the same beer for like 4 weeks. I'd rather brew 20LT batches and have two diff ones going each time.

I've been pretty happy with all my brews but there is always something that could be better! I can't imagine anyone has tasted a brew and declared it perfect.

Aside from my two latest complete failures due to infection Ive been very happy. In 24 good batches ive only felt the urge to repeat batches twice, happy to keep playing.

The only real shocker I had was brew #2. A 2-Can MSB Oatmeal Stout and it turned out absolute shite. watery as all buggery, sweet and overall generally shite. I'll pour it all out when I need the bottles again :lol:

Latest posts

Back