Have I Stuffed Up?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels5

Reaction score
Hi guys

From what I am about to type, you can guess I am very new to the brewing game, in fact my 1st brew.

I have a Coopers Micro Brew kit. I was following all the instructons as well as a few from this forum. After 24 hours, i had no bubbles in the airlock....crap i thought. so to check I squeezed the fermenter. The water in the airlock rose and then to my astonishment some went into the fermenter.

Double crap!!1 as I seem to recall in previous threads that this is not good.

Could someone please advise whether I have cocked up.

btw. I have realised from other threads that not having a good seal is not as important a deal and my yeasy is fermenting as I have scum on the side and some condensation.

Brew is sitting on 20C.

Thanks in advance

Wheels5

Probably, but it will still produce beer. Only an issue if you had some major infection/bacteria in the water in the airlock. Not all that likely (though certainly probable) after 24hrs. Sit back, chill and see what happens.

I've had this happen too with no noticeable results, as long as the water was decent that went into the airlock I don't think there should be too much of a problem, especially if it is only beginning.

Thanks guys, was the same water that is in the brew, so hoping it is all ok.

This is why some people use sanitiser, or even cheap vodka in the airlock, I'd perhaps avoid bleach as even a small dose into your beer would be noticeable me thinks.

not the best thing to happen, but chances are nothing will come of it.

RDWHAHB :p

oh, and dont let it happen again!

This is why some people use sanitiser, or even cheap vodka in the airlock, I'd perhaps avoid bleach as even a small dose into your beer would be noticeable me thinks.

I would be one of those people that use the sanitiser in the airlock, that way i belive that i will limit my chances of infection, if i get water from the airlock in my brew.

For your next batch

Try using glad wrap instead of the lid and airlock

Take the o-ring out of the lid and use this to secure the gald wrap in place

You'll notice the glad wrap dome up during fermentation

The good thing about this is that you can actually see what's going on - it's quite interesting - and you'll now it's fermenting without worrying about an airlock bubbling

Don't worry about how the co2 will escape - it'll find a way

Also this method means you don't have to sanitise the lid / airlock - as you won't be using them

Cheers

Hi guys

From what I am about to type, you can guess I am very new to the brewing game, in fact my 1st brew.

I have a Coopers Micro Brew kit. I was following all the instructons as well as a few from this forum. After 24 hours, i had no bubbles in the airlock....crap i thought. so to check I squeezed the fermenter. The water in the airlock rose and then to my astonishment some went into the fermenter.

Double crap!!1 as I seem to recall in previous threads that this is not good.

Could someone please advise whether I have cocked up.

btw. I have realised from other threads that not having a good seal is not as important a deal and my yeasy is fermenting as I have scum on the side and some condensation.

Brew is sitting on 20C.

Thanks in advance

Wheels5
hey Wheels5, welcome to the world of good, i mean great beer and no hangovers.

mate, i have let water in to my brews plenty of times and have never had a problem so don't worry about that. it's natural to be over cautious at first but after a few brews you will settle down.

as for the bubbles in the air lock, if you haven't seen anything in 48hrs tighten your lid down a bit. i have been caught with this as well.

:beer:

Cloudy.

as long as there wasnt a vinnager fly in the airlock you should be alrite!! ;)

As I finish a brew I ALWAYS boil the kettle, make SWMBO a nice cup of tea, and fill the airlock with boiled water.

I find this method highly successfull in making a decent brew!

Seriously, boiled water is better than plain wter, just in case.
Some make a small cap to fit over the top of the airlock outlet so dirt, flies, etc can't fall in.

Thanks guys, some great tips which will come in handy for up and coming brews.

I have had this happen to me before also, so you aren't alone! I have never found it to be a problem with my beers, and since it was only going for 24 hours it is likely that not much had a chance to get into it. If you do stick with using the airlock, it helps to put the minimum amount of water in that will seal the lock but not make it too hard for the co2 to escape, that is what I do so I can tell when my beer has stopped - no bubbling means finished because there is so little resistance for the bubbles to get out.

Hope it all tastes good for you!

I used to put vodka or cheap alchohol in ithe air lock but stop because it vapourated to quickly.
Boiling water with a weee wee bit of idophor.

Latest posts

Back