Have I Overcarbonated?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitegoose

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm pretty sure I've overcarbonated my keg - I'm just looking for confirmation and then some advice.

So I usually just use the "let her sit" method of carbaonation. That is I leave me keg at serving pressure (90kpa) for a week or two. Sometimes (like this time) I give it a bit of a kick start, by gassing it up to 150kpa, disconnecting the gas, then rocking the keg a bit till it has dropped back down to 90kpa. The back to the let her sit method.

So far, all good.

But as I discovered this arvo, I have had the pressure on at 350kpa+ for 48 hours!! No idea how I did this - maybe something as stupid as looking at the wrong gauge on the regulator! Anyway, I have poured about 2 pints to test and I am getting 80% foam. Overcarbed, right?

So how do I remedy this. I have taken the keg off the gas and out of the fridge to warm it up, and burp the keg periodically as the CO2 comes out. Is this the right approach? Any idea of how long I need to do this for, or how to tell when it is ready to be put back on the gas for re-carbonation?

Quite overcarbed I reckon, ive done it before, but not to that extent.... Just keep burping it until it doesnt burp anymore and then gas as normal... ;) That was my remedy, unless you want to keep testing it along the way....

Yep, overcarbed me thinks...

I did it once = remedy:

Bleed pressure from keg in the morning, fully empty the keg of pressure!

When you get home, serve yourself a glass! How? Because C02 should have escaped the beer and allow you to pour a beer.. sure it will pour sh*t slow but pour a glass to check current carb levels....

Repeat until things are good - turn gas back to serving level and enjoy!

For me it took 2 days... but I did serve myself 2, dribbling, pots a night to be sure :rolleyes:

2c! Hope it helps!

this may take at least a day, but I would most likely leave the relief valve open all night, if still no good close valve and shake the keg, let settle, and realese valve again, close, gas and poor a beer at serving pressure. see how that goes. you may need to give it a couple of shakes.

If under carbed, just turn up to 150 and shake for a 10 secs, turn off gas and shake for a few seconds more. let settle, open valve, close and try again at serving pressure.

casey

Thanks for the replies - I've left it out overnight and burped it this morning... will do the same again tonight and tomorrow morning, hopefully tomorrow night I should be able to start carbonating again.

Thanks for the replies - I've left it out overnight and burped it this morning... will do the same again tonight and tomorrow morning, hopefully tomorrow night I should be able to start carbonating again.

If you leave it cold it will degas very slowly - Leave it out the fridge overnight with the releif valve open. Tomorrow rechill & it should be fine.

Cheers Ross

Ha ha,

Just found the opposite problem, left a keg at 200kpa overnight. Got home from work and found I had failed to connect the gas line to the post. Good thing I'm not hanging on it, still have 2 other kegs pouring at the moment. Hopefully the keg will carbonate better with the gas connected.

Cheers,
Dunno

Latest posts

Back