Have I Killed The Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelinz

Reaction score
My fermenting fridge accidentally got switched on sometime yesterday. On checking this morning the brew is sitting at 1c, this is a larger yeast that has been in the fermenter for 4 days.

Do I?????????
A open the fridge and just let it warm up slowly
B Pop on my fridge controller and add heat to get back up to 18c
c Repitch new yeast? when, what temp?

rgds mike

My fermenting fridge accidentally got switched on sometime yesterday. On checking this morning the brew is sitting at 1c, this is a larger yeast that has been in the fermenter for 4 days.

Do I?????????
A open the fridge and just let it warm up slowly
B Pop on my fridge controller and add heat to get back up to 18c
c Repitch new yeast? when, what temp?

rgds mike

Mike,

Will have done your yeast no harm at all, other than made it a little drowsy. just warm back up to fermenting temp & it'll carry on quite happily. You say back up to 18c though? 18c is too high for a lager yeast, or did you mean ale yeast?

Cheers Ross

Mike,

Will have done your yeast no harm at all, other than made it a little drowsy. just warm back up to fermenting temp & it'll carry on quite happily. You say back up to 18c though? 18c is too high for a lager yeast, or did you mean ale yeast?

Cheers Ross

It was a packet of dry larger yeast said to ferment at 18-20. This is my first attempt at larger - what should i keep it at, I have a fridge controller

What is the yeast brand name and code, or what kit did it come from?

True lager yeasts are meant to be fermented at 8-12C. However, most "lager" kits actually come with an ale yeast (or a mix of ale and lager yeasts) which is best fermented at 18-20C.

mikelinz said:
Brew cellar - European larger yeast 15g

A quick google indicates that this yeast is possibly 34/70 repackaged and most recommend 12 - 15 C. Well thats possibly too high for a lager yeast under ideal conditions but makes for good compromise if you are a beginning kit brewer, you will get that sacrosanct airlock activity and the temperature will not be so high as to screw the process, on top of that it possibly saves woorying about a diacetyl rest too much !!!
If you have a fridge controller and you are working from the air temp in the fridge just remeber that during fermentation even a lager yeast will make your wort warmer than the surrounding air so in this case set your fridge at say 10C.
In a few years time when you are making wonderful all grain pilseners and fermenting at 7C you will look back be thankfull for what you have learnt.

K

A quick google indicates that this yeast is possibly 34/70 repackaged and most recommend 12 - 15 C. Well thats possibly too high for a lager yeast under ideal conditions but makes for good compromise if you are a beginning kit brewer, you will get that sacrosanct airlock activity and the temperature will not be so high as to screw the process, on top of that it possibly saves woorying about a diacetyl rest too much !!!
If you have a fridge controller and you are working from the air temp in the fridge just remeber that during fermentation even a lager yeast will make your wort warmer than the surrounding air so in this case set your fridge at say 10C.
In a few years time when you are making wonderful all grain pilseners and fermenting at 7C you will look back be thankfull for what you have learnt.

K

Thanks for the relply, it was a kit with steeped grains and a "brew sugar mix" from a brew shop, i have an probe that sits in the brew probe for temp so can keep it pretty close to what I need. Have only used it to keep my Ale yeast warm enough in the winter so far. Slowly working towards trying a BIAB .

rgds mike

Latest posts

Back