Have I Gone Hopping Mad!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matti

Swedes Bryggeri
Reaction score
I didn't think it would happen to me,,,, but today I confirmed it. :lol:

After I finished bottling my last brew, I went over the hop additions.

60 min, 40 min, 20 min, Flame out. Primary, Secondary and roll the drums....

As I dissolved 180g of dextrose and 10g of Maltodextrine in simmering water I added a few grinded down Saaz hop plugs and simmered for 20 minutes.

I didn't even bother sifting out the trub when I bulked primed it.

If its isn't tasty enough once the beer is ready to drink,
It wouldn't Surprise me if I have some noble hops ready to chuck in the long-necks prior to pouring the glasses.

Is this what they call acquiring as taste for something? :eek:

matti

Yep, you've crossed over, matti. Welcome. :D

LTS.jpg

Excellent. Soon Australia will be a hopped up paradise. Don't forget to add hops to your mash, and sparge water!

Excellent. Soon Australia will be a hopped up paradise. Don't forget to add hops to your mash, and sparge water!

From what I have read here on AHB I reckon certain people won't even take a bath unless the water is 68C and infused with a hop bag. No names mentioned but I'm sure you can guess !!!

I spread the hop trub on my toast for breakfast, instead of using vegemite...........

I spread the hop trub on my toast for breakfast, instead of using vegemite...........

What hops work well for this? I'm guessing pellets unless you want a bit more roughage, but which hops? Single hop or a mix? ;)

I'd put Amarillo on toast if I was out of alternative condiments.
Perhaps sprinkle some sugar just to even out the bitterness.

"Perhaps sprinkle some sugar just to even out the bitterness. "

Thats it - you're out of the club.

Real hop heads don't need hide the bitterness! :D :D :D

I just tried my 100IBU double IPA - I'm going to boast, but it is *exactly* as I planned! Hops crawl into your nose from the moment the bottle is opened. The real test was giving a sip to my wife - her face all screwed up into a puckered ball. I knew I had succeeded! The funniest thing is I find it really nice!

My San Francisco trip has a lot to answer for! No such thing as hoppy beers any more!

M

LTS_1_.jpg
Since i Am not drinking until Xmas eve.
Does this mean I will start chewing them. :p

A few years ago I made an ale, I also starting drinking around mash time, it was lunchtime!
Of course if you are brewing you should leave your drinking to later on, like after you have dropped into the fermentor...but this day..oh, caution to the wind, mucked the mash, overboiled, got 25 ish litres rather than my 38 litre target, but added one kilo..thats 1000gms of cascade pellets in multiple additions..
Sure, it was bitter, but there is a max IBU you can reach, the SG was high cause of the boiling so I had a small qty of massively hopped mind-muck. I swear you actually got a buzz from the hops (almost), it certainly had soporific powers!!!

Go the Hop!!

K

What hops work well for this? I'm guessing pellets unless you want a bit more roughage, but which hops? Single hop or a mix? ;)

OK, so I was stretching the truth just a little bit.... bit I do love my hops.

Latest posts

Back