Has Brewing Made You Into A Better Cook As Well?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Ive been cooking as my Trade for 15 years straight now and in a Fine Dining type of way normally, since ive been in the Bay, my Passion for cooking has dwindled somewhat due to the lack of demand for good food up here and the lack of quality produce... :(

But, i'm now putting more of my energies into Beer and refining/learning the brewing process as it really is like doing an apprenticeship again but its just a hobby which I love.... :D

While I still enjoy cooking, id now/for now rather put my knowledge/brain into brewing beer...

:party: CB

+1

Cooking has been my trade for 11years straight now and most of those years have been in pubs. Im so fu#$*n sick of chicken parmiganas and well done steak. I have recently changed jobs and will be helping open a fine dining resturant in a few weeks so look forward to that adventure!! I love brewing and the same as my job have a major passion for it. Also when i took on this job it was with the knowledge that one off the pubs in the group is being renovated shortly with a micro brewery being installed there too!! I may have mentioned my passion for brewing :p

Cheers

Scotsman

I really enjoy making curries, and in the pastwould blindly follow any recipe I'd found to make a reasonable curry without thinking about what, when and why I was adding things. Now I dream up my own from a base set of ingredients, plus extras to give some personality - kinda like base malts and crystals. I even think of coriander like hops - "I'll put some in for 60 minutes, and then some more as garnish at flameout"

yep, obsessed, gotta update this...

http://gibbosfoodstuffs.blogspot.com

updates to come when i cbf;

Chicken breast stuffed with brie & sundried tomato, wrapped in procuitto
Roast Pork loin rolled with red onion, gralic and sage in beer sauce.
Roo Fillet Minion one couscous with roast garlic jus and broccoli pesto
Lobster linguine with garlic sage cream sauce
Lamb Ragu with potato gnocci

Having made a couple of facile comments, thought I'd answer the question properly...

You know, I think it's the other way round... I love cooking but don't really follow recipes (take them as a base to work from but add or leave things out mostly add!), it's exactly how I brew - if it works and I'm doing it again, then I tend to stick to the method but can't help tinkering...

Here's a Tandoori Haloumi on Peshwari Naan with a Pistachio and Pinenut Panch Poran, Mango Chutney and Lime and Ginger Raita and a bowl of lentils with bits in...

Curry.jpg

People who brew have a much better grasp of infection and sterile/sanitized situations.

My gal likes to leave the manky dishcloth draped over the tap, drying. While filling up a glass at the tap both my hand and the rim of the glass touch the dishcloth ... that might have chicken blood or something on it.

Watching someone rinse a chopping board after chopping meat with a quick splash of cold water ... I always salt the chopping board after it gets meat juice. The salinity kills the nasties and keeps them at bay.

But I cook spuds in filthy pans because the boiling will nail anything. The BBQ? Filthy, but at 300 degrees - no worries.

How many people do you know who store the meat abover the vegetables in the fridge?

Same with homebrewing. It's about knowing what you can and can't get away with, rather than unbased paranoia.

Im a way better cook then brewer. One day that may change.

My partner brews the same way as he cooks. He loves experimenting. I love recipes and researching.

I usually can recreate the experience he some times cant.

I love cooking currys... and slow cooked food. I have a new love for risottos.

I can cook a fantastic sponge also.

StevesParty_002.jpg

Bribie

Do you have a recipe for peas pudd'n? Had some in a pub in Newcastle and it was great. A bizzare thing to be bought from behind the bar...plus I couldnt understand a word he was saying. But shit it was good. It was like the Lancashire mushy peas but thicker?

Cheers
Steve

Katie, i've started using beer in the risotto instead of wine, hasn't made a huge taste difference yet but i plan on going darker....

Katie, i've started using beer in the risotto instead of wine, hasn't made a huge taste difference yet but i plan on going darker....

Yeah I have thought about doing that. Have you tried red wine yet? I think it would go great with beetroot.

Are you a stirrer?

Beetroot slow simmered in a nice rich Shiraz is VERY nice....., you can then reduce some of the sauce to a nice rich glaze for a gorgeous hunk of med/rare eye fillet........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

is this what you are after Steve

PEASE PUDDING
Recipe Two

Ingredients:
Large Ham Shank
Salt Pepper
475g (about a one pound pack) Split Peas
Method:(2)

Place Large sized ham shank in large cooking pot cover with water. Bring to the boil, then drain the water. Replace with new clean water, and bring back to the boil.

Remove the ham shank, break off very small pieces of the meat into your stock. Enough to your own taste. Not a lot though as this is a split pea recipe rather than a meaty recipe.

Add the split peas (475g to every 2 litres of water) turn heat off and allow to steep for 4 hours. Next bring back to boil and then simmer, keep stirring and checking, as you only want the mix, to reach a nice medium consistency, (not too thick or thin) as once this cools it sets thicker.

When cooled place in refrigerator. Chill and serve with, salad or - with cold ham sandwiches or even with Roast Potatoes beef and Gravy. Has many other uses.

Many grown up's today will remember waiting as children, for this being made, and then eating it hot, pasted onto fresh bread and butter.

Brewing has taught me to preheat the bowl before serving the 2min noodels.

is this what you are after Steve

PEASE PUDDING
Recipe Two

Ingredients:
Large Ham Shank
Salt Pepper
475g (about a one pound pack) Split Peas
Method:(2)

Place Large sized ham shank in large cooking pot cover with water. Bring to the boil, then drain the water. Replace with new clean water, and bring back to the boil.

Remove the ham shank, break off very small pieces of the meat into your stock. Enough to your own taste. Not a lot though as this is a split pea recipe rather than a meaty recipe.

Add the split peas (475g to every 2 litres of water) turn heat off and allow to steep for 4 hours. Next bring back to boil and then simmer, keep stirring and checking, as you only want the mix, to reach a nice medium consistency, (not too thick or thin) as once this cools it sets thicker.

When cooled place in refrigerator. Chill and serve with, salad or - with cold ham sandwiches or even with Roast Potatoes beef and Gravy. Has many other uses.

Many grown up's today will remember waiting as children, for this being made, and then eating it hot, pasted onto fresh bread and butter.

Yum - thanks katie. Its basically just like my nanas pea n ham soup, just thicker and served cold.
Thanks for that
Steve

yep, obsessed, gotta update this...

http://gibbosfoodstuffs.blogspot.com

updates to come when i cbf;

Chicken breast stuffed with brie & sundried tomato, wrapped in procuitto
Roast Pork loin rolled with red onion, gralic and sage in beer sauce.
Roo Fillet Minion one couscous with roast garlic jus and broccoli pesto
Lobster linguine with garlic sage cream sauce
Lamb Ragu with potato gnocci

I follow your blog... get cooking

mmhmm. expensive too. Now I have $4k worth of espresso gear, $1k of japanese chefs knives and whetstones, and a rediculous amount spent on cookware etc.. I don't know if I'm a much better cook, but cooking is one of my obsessions, so I like to imagine I'm better than average. I'm only young (relatively), but this is what I spend my $$ on instead of sick bodykits and spoilers and rims and subwoofers bro, like it seems so many others my age do.

A much better investment in my opinion. Good knives, well treated, will outlive you. Gaudy bogan bling will last only as far as a fateful telegraph pole...

what knives did you go with, i like the look of the Shun brand, i tried a few recently and they were heavenly.

Latest posts

Back