Happy Goblin Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the hand crushed malt angle...
And he has a GuestLurker liftovator too!! Well without the water...

niiice
Asher

Has anyone been in contact with him? Inevitable he is going to have to expand and it would be great if he posted a bit of a log as it happens.

Jye,

I sent off an email, asking if he's be prepared to send some to Brizzy - Will let you know.

cheers Ross

Has anyone been in contact with him? Inevitable he is going to have to expand and it would be great if he posted a bit of a log as it happens.

Jye,
I sent an email on Saturday to him but have not had a reply yet. Hopefully he will, would love to go up and check it out, maybe ask if he needs any help as well.
eric

What a legend. I'll have to head up that way for a bottle or two to show some support.

Jye,

I sent off an email, asking if he's be prepared to send some to Brizzy - Will let you know.

cheers Ross

And perhaps mention that 'craftbrewer' could supply all his needs ;)

I would be interested in a bottle if it comes off Ross

Batz

Sounds great. Hope you can find some fresh.

Beers,
Doc

Doc they where bottled on the 22/6, ;) . They only had a couple of sixpacks int the fridge.
Eric

Noticed this at the end of his intro on the home page -

"Also, a quick greeting to the visitors from the AussieHomeBrewer forum. I'll come and have a chat when I get a bit of time."

Firstly, good on him for getting out there and living the craft brewing dream:beer:

Secondly, however the six pack that I got about a month ago tastes all wrong to me. For mine there's a Band Aide, rubbery / plastic Phenoly taste thing going on there in a big way. :ph34r: :unsure:

May be it's just me

I've been keeping the remaining beers in the fridge to see if someone wants a try and give a second opinion or tell me I've made a mistake ( I really don't want to be bringing this guy down before he gets a start) .

Hi, Colin here from the Happy Goblin Brewery, just signed up on the forum and wanted to say thanks for the good wishes. Thanks as well to the guys who sent emails, I'll reply to you soon.

I met the guy the other week, he was holidaying at a place I manage in the snowies, he had the logo on the car.

I ended up barraging the poor guy with questions.

Hey mate, no worries, always happy to stand around chatting about beer. Cheers for the camping. Hopefully coming skiing again in a couple of weeks, and will drop some beers in to you if I make it down.

He has outlets for his product that is the main thing must be a part time job weekends and evenings

crushes the grains at the weekends and bottles at night

Yeah, I also work at a climbing gym, I do two brews one day a week (it takes 16 hours) and then transfer and bottling another two days a week.

i can't see him getting rich, but just love seeing people living the dream
I'll have to see if I can get some sent up here.

I can't see me getting rich either. Oh well. :)

I know that Jim's Cellars ships beer all over the place so I'll talk to them and see what they can do about interstate shipping.

I've got his business card at home, i think my fiance' rock climbs with him.?

Yeah, I do lots of climbing with heaps of different people, so quite possible.

I shot an email off to him as well, might have a mini brewery tour.

Can do tours if anyone's interested, there's not a whole lot to see but happy to meet people and show them round. Anyone else who's interested can contact me via email.

better the chemists become brewers than do shit like biological warfare.
Beer is good enough to stop an army

I'm planning on making some chilli beer at some point which should be a bit like chemical warfare :)

And he has a GuestLurker liftovator too!!

Do I?

Secondly, however the six pack that I got about a month ago tastes all wrong to me. For mine there's a Band Aide, rubbery / plastic Phenoly taste thing going on there in a big way.

I haven't noticed any problems with the beer while it's being going into the bottles. Do you know the date on the bottles? I'll see if anyone else I know has had any problems from that batch. Send me an email if you want, and I'll see about organising some bottles from a different batch for you to try.

Anyone know this guy?

I know me. :)

COLIN

Do I?
COLIN

Yes, except I use water for the counterweight when I lift my kettle!

liftovator.jpg

Hey Colin,

Welcome to AHB,
The Hill Brewers Guild had our monthly meeting last night, and Eric (one of the members) bought along a couple of bottles of Happy Goblin labeled with 3.9% so we guessed this was the Pale Ale :p

A well made tasty beer. Very unfiltered, but very enjoyable. Keep up the good work.

Beers,
Doc

By the way, I just added a new stockist in Annandale.
COLIN
Had a taste of the Pale Ale at the HBG pizza night last night. Pretty bloody nice, IMO was similar to Coopers Vintage strong ale.
Top work, Colin. All the best with yr brewery.

Well done Colin... a truly noble use of a chemistry qualification.

Welcome to AHB,
The Hill Brewers Guild had our monthly meeting last night, and Eric (one of the members) bought along a couple of bottles of Happy Goblin labeled with 3.9% so we guessed this was the Pale Ale :p

Happy to be here, looks like an interesting website. Yeah, that was the pale ale, that's the only one in bottles so far. The first batches of strong ale are only just starting to go into kegs. It will take a little while still to organise getting it into bottles.

A well made tasty beer. Very unfiltered, but very enjoyable. Keep up the good work.

Good to hear you liked it. Yeah, I don't do any filtering, and am not planning to ever. Some batches are clearing up much better than others, but there's still a bit of variability. Once I get my air conditioning fixed in the fermenter room I'm hoping this will sort itself out a bit.

COLIN

Finally got around to purchasing a case (12 bottles anyway) of the pale ale the other day at Jims Cellars in Waitara. Got the batch bottled 22.6.07 3.9%abv. Quite a hazy one indeed, but a nice quaffable ale, nice malt flavours and light fruitiness. I was very pleased, and I hope more people catch onto your beers Colin, nice work!

[Hijack]
Whats with all the chemists that become brewers? The head brewer at MooBrew is also a chemist and I know another chemist who was producing the mash and running the still for Larks.

As a chemist I am wondering where this will lead me. Guess it beats being a labrat like me
[/Hijack]

Chuck Hahns also a chemist

Chuck Hahns also a chemist

I have a friend who helps me with the bottling, he's a chemist too! We spend a lot of time discussing gas solubility, the causes of nucleation both in the line and in the bottle during filling and whatever else we think contributes to all the bloody foaming.... makes us look a bit like nerds...

Back