Handy Fitting I Found

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, so you're basically shoving the socket as tightly as you can into the neck of the skin-fitting? Doesn't sound like it would be watertight enough for a kettle...

Nah, you still sound confused.

The socket takes the place of the nut essentially. You could choose to use both the nut and the socket though, by using the nut to tighten the skin fitting to the vessel-then using the socket to simply convert the male thread on the skin fitting to a female so it can then accept the male thread from the thermometer. Hope you follow.

Or if you cut the skin fittings shaft length down so that it was the correct length to 1. tighten the skinfitting to the keg using the socket instead of the nut and 2. leave enough female thread in the socket for the thermometer to be screwed into it as well.

I've tried my best to describe it but it's hard doing that by text. Perhaps in this instance it would be best to pursue a different route :D . But it could be done, that's all I'm saying. If you can't follow you'll either have to work it out for yourself or better still just go with a more conventional approach.

Batz, this is your baby-maybe you should be answering the questions LOL :p

The socket is a female thread,both the skin fitting and Mashmaster temp. gauge are male threads,so you screw the socket half way onto each thread .Hope that helps with piccy too :D
Would work a treat wth a sight glass as well,the pics show mine but I welded in fittings then used a nipple,both more costly and not as neat.

Batz

The socket is a female thread,both the skin fitting and Mashmaster temp. gauge are male threads,so you screw the socket half way onto each thread .Hope that helps with piccy too :D
Would work a treat wth a sight glass as well,the pics show mine but I welded in fittings then used a nipple,both more costly and not as neat.

Batz
Ahhh thanks Batz, the penny's dropped. I was thinking the flared side was on the outside of the kettle, rather than the other way around. Makes perfect sense now :lol:
Justin, thanks for spending the time trying to describe it :beer:

Tim.

I think you will find that 1/2" tube will fit inside the fitting 1/2" BSP fitting.
That means you could just use a piece of copper or SS tube and a Kinko nut and Olive washer to lock the pick up tube at the desired hight.

The Kinko would go where the 1/2" socket is in the pick preceding.

Just bent a piece of tube, fit it from the inside out, then tighten the nut.

MHB

Back