Hallertau Hop Pellets - Difference Between Boiling & Finishing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardii

Reaction score
Greetings,

For my 2nd ever brew I'm trying to make a simple wheat beer. The recipe calls for 50% malt, 50% wheat malt, and Hallertau hops for boiling.

I duly procured these items from my local brew shop. However when I got home, I noticed that the hop-pellet packs are labelled "Morgan's Finishing Hops" - does this mean they are no good for boiling?

thanks,
-Hardii

The hops would be fine for either use but the problem will present itself that you won't be accurately able to calculate the ibu (bitterness) as to the best of my knowledge they are not provided on the packet. It would be advisable to purchase your hops with the AA% and details of year to bemore accurately able to predict things.

As for this brew you run the risk of having an over or under bitter beer...or a perfect beer.

Finishing hops are in a teabag and are designed as an introduction to hops for kit brewers. They are the same ingredient as any other hops but their main problem is that they may not be stored well. Were they in a fridge or freezer or just on the shelf?

It sounds as if you are doing an extract brew - not sure if one teabag (12g of hops from memory) will be enough to bitter even a hefe (volume dependent). Additionally, the bag may limit some of the utilisation of the hops.

What's your intended process and how much understanding do you have of the function of hops in a beer?

The flavours in a german style wheat (as opposed to american or aussie) are very dependent on the yeast. What type are you using? and do you have a recipe and process for your beer?

I'm planning on following a recipe from "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" (rev3).
It calls for 1.5kg of both malts (so 3k total), and 20 grams of Hallertau hops for boiling.
This is to make a 19 litre (5 gallon) batch.

It says to use any german wheatbeer yeast, so I have a Safbrew WB-06, which is what the brew shop reccomended.

I just looked up the recipe name, it's called "Lovebite Weizenbier" for what it's worth.

Sounds fine. Break the bags open and dump the hops in. Next time look at pellet hops that have been stored cool/cold.

Latest posts

Back