HAG Baltic Porter Incantation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith the Beer Guy

Reaction score
G'day,

thought I'd make a quick post to spread the love.

First let me offer a congratulations to Scott aka Goatherder for his first palce in our club only competition - the Baltic Porter Incantation. For his efforts he received the applause, accolades and envy of his peers.

A job very well done.

Runner up was the bloody chief steward and we are all agreed this was rigged, so no-one will mention his or her name.

And congratulations to Pete aka ???, what the h*ll is your moniker Pete?, who scored third place.

Thanks to everyone who brewed a beer and put in an appearance on the day, it made for a most excellent afternoon.

Finally, let me say cheers to Mark for organising the event, a top job, very well done.

My work here is over, goodnight and happy brewing,

Keith

I second the congratulations to Mark and the HAG crew.
I had a great day (as did Aidan) and am looking forward to the fruits of our brewing when they appear from the Port barrell in the coming months.

Doc

Yep
WOnderful day, I had a blast. Congrats to all the winners, and I believe that petes nickname on here is Peve. Was great to be able to taste all those baltic porters, and I cant wait to try it in a few months, when it comes out of the barrel.
Really big thanks for up for MHB, for putting on all the nibblies, and buying a keg of Potters delicious Hunter Pale Ale for us to drink at our leisure. And for putting on the location (his shop), and getting his hands on a 200L port barrel, sterilizing it, and giving it pride of place in his showroom for all to see. Beware of possible brewing Ram Raiders, mark! :D
Also thanks to Keith, for buying a keg of Potters Oktoberfest which was sensational. How that beer only received a bronze at the recent Aussie Beer comp is beyond me, as I really cannot see much room for improvement at all. Big thanks to the Chief Steward bigfridge, who also managed to get a second place, quite possibly due to the mythical "left hand, three knock" pouring system :p Maybe it was just because it was a very good beer (he is known for them), but I like conspiracies!
Special mention must go to Doc's kid Aidan, who was exceptionally well behaved. Most kids get all grumpy and whingy when they get bored, but this one managed to keep himself quite happily entertained while the adults played, and never interrupted anyone's conversation to get attention. Very impressed, I was.
Finally, thanks for everyone who helped make the whole thing work, like the stewards and the judges, and thanks for turning up. I had an absolute blast, and was disappointed I couldnt stay longer. Hope to see you all on the bottling day!
All the best
Trent

My congrats too, and big thanks to Aidan's fave party-clown Trent (and his gorgeous missus) for the lift out to Medowie on his long journey home.

In case the details were not spelled out anywhere other than private emails, here's the gist:

By invitation only, due to limited space in the wine cask, mash brewers were asked to create their rendition of a Baltic Porter and bring it along for a friendly judging/evaluation, and provide a kegful of it for the event.
People were given some familiarisation with the beer judging process and got to taste the fruits (or is it grains?) of other brewers' labours.
All beers being rated as sound and without significant flaws, were allowed to be "INcanted" (opposite of DEcanted?) into the wine barrel, which Mark has paid for, meticulously cleaned and steamed, and will age for the invited HAG brewers.

Future events are envisioned, including tasting and eventual division of the aged beer back into the kegs of the original participants. (Hears Bing Crosby singing, "I'm dreaming of a black Christmas")

A great concept, with kudos to Mark, Keith and all the Porter-heads involved on the day.
What a great game to play on a rainy ANZAC day.

Les out (and off to work) :p

Damn, I was unable to attend yesterday due to some
unforseen sick children. :angry:
Was looking forward to meeting up with fellow HAG's.
Congrats to everyone involved, Looks like I missed out on a top day. :(
Anyway, good onya Mark and Keith for organising it, and all the participants.
Looking forward to the next one.
:beer:

Yes, a top day indeed.

Thanks to Mark and Keith for putting the day on - good food, beer and company. What more could one want?

The baltic porter was a great choice for this comp - there are hardly any recipes around. It was a real challenge coming up with something unique.

We snuck a taste late in the day of the entries all mixed together in the barrel. It was very tasty, I can't wait for it to come out.

Here's my BP recipe:

88% Weyermann Vienna Malt
2.7% Amber Malt
2.7% Caramunich I
2.7% Caramunich III
2% Carafa I
1% Caraaroma
0.7% Carafa III
Northern Brewer at 60min to 39 IBU
OG 1.072
Wyeast 1056 from slurry at 16 degrees for two weeks. Lager for 5 weeks.

Pete here Keith.
Trent remembered. My moniker is Peve.
I'd just like to add my thanks to Mark and Keith for organising and hosting what was a sensational afternoon.
Can't wait to try the finished product.

Pete

Runner up was the bloody chief steward and we are all agreed this was rigged, so no-one will mention his or her name.

Well, despite suspicions about score room probity, here was my submission that came second. It was only put down 3 weeks ago.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Zywich Porter
Brewer: David Lamotte

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 44.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.087 SG
Estimated Color: 84.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
16.00 kg IMC Pilsner (3.5 EBC)
0.60 kg Chocolate Malt (1200.0 EBC)
0.60 kg Crystal (150.0 EBC)
0.50 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC)
0.30 kg Weyermann Carafa Special III (1300.2 EBC)

90.00 gm Santiam [6.80%] (60 min)
100.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.80%] (60 min)
20.00 gm Saaz [3.80%] (15 min)

1.89 gm Yeast Nutrient (Boil 30.0 min)
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308)

David

Goatherder and Bigfridge have posted their recipes so I've put mine up too.
Only a partial mash though.
Got about 39L final product after the last rack

Boil Size: 48.00 L

9.00 kg Blackfern Pale Liquid Extract (4.0 EBC)
1.20 kg Treacle (197.0 EBC)
0.50 kg Caramunich Malt III (150.0 EBC)
0.15 kg Caraaroma (350.1 EBC)
0.10 kg Carafa III (1250.0 EBC)
44.00 gm Magnum [13.00%] (60 min)
20.00 gm Magnum [13.00%] (15 min)
14.10 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00%] (1 min)
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Grains steeped for 30 mins at 65 degrees before adding the resultant liquid to the 60 min boil

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4% Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %
Bitterness: 32.9 IBU
Est Color: 42.7

Gravities were spot on amazingly.

Cheers
Pete

Gday
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but we just downloaded all our pics from the camera, and happen to have one of the barrel being filled for the Baltic Porter Incantation thingy.
There we can see SJW manning the pluto gun, with MHB making sure there are no spills. Les is in the background taking a quick kip! Just kidding, but it looks like he is having a snooze, eh? Great day, cant wait for the emptying of it.
All the best
Trent
For the record, as far as snoozes go, I was the one that had a kip on the way home :eek: Its a long drive to forster...
EDIT - The mrs was driving, not me.

barrel.jpg

Yeah, it looks like I'm doing nothing, but there's really a lot going on at a cellular level.

Seth (contributor of the Baltic banana porter - I swear it was lager yeast, not weizen) :p

Yeah, it looks like I'm doing nothing, but there's really a lot going on at a cellular level.

Seth (contributor of the Baltic banana porter - I swear it was lager yeast, not weizen) :p

So you had the banana porter!! How did I not make the connection at the time?

So you had the banana porter!! How did I not make the connection at the time?
I didn't taste it on the day, but that's what my feedback sheets said.
I will admit that the lager yeast got a little warm during ferment, but I couldn't taste banana when I last sampled it.

I would have been gutted if it was left out of the barrel, but I'm sure I could have got my enjoyment from the keg of Baltic instead, and learned something from the experience.
Seth :p

Back