Had my first Ag brew today everything went awesome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnClunks

Reaction score
Brewed my first Ag beer today using robobrew and brewfather, I hit the correct gravity and also the amount brewfather was spot on temperature didn't fluctuate that much a really nice day around, if it wasn't for the bloody cleaning and the fact my hose sprayed water everywhere. Man I love this hobby it smells so delicious also I'm sold

What exactly is giving you trouble with the cleaning? Use PBW, ABC, or just sodium perc and clean whatever is dirty. You can probably find a video on YouTube if you need to see someone cleaning one.

What exactly is giving you trouble with the cleaning? Use PBW, ABC, or just sodium perc and clean whatever is dirty. You can probably find a video on YouTube if you need to see someone cleaning one.
I've finished cleaning using pbw man cleaning took ages and alot of water

Are filling your entire kettle full of water? First, buy PBW in bulk as you will be using a lot of it across all your brewing equipment.

You only need a few litres of warm water with the PBW and a sponge/scrubber. Recirc the cleaning solution to clean the pump and recirc arm and scrub everything else. Use your kettle as a basin to soak and clean any small parts.

Rinse everything with your garden hose.

I'll leave the kettle upside down with the ball valve open to dry.

Are filling your entire kettle full of water? First, buy PBW in bulk as you will be using a lot of it across all your brewing equipment.

You only need a few litres of warm water with the PBW and a sponge/scrubber. Recirc the cleaning solution to clean the pump and recirc arm and scrub everything else. Use your kettle as a basin to soak and clean any small parts.

Haha I filled to 20 litres and scrubbed I'm a idiot I also ran though my equipment, recirc arm, CFC, whirlpool arm etc.
Next time I will just use the 10 litres or so of water that comes out of the cfc

Do you really need 10mg per litre seems like alot
The most common hot side cleaner in breweries is Caustic Soda at around 2-3% that’s 20-30g/L. PBW is good, the maker recommends around 7.5-15g/L depending on application. I certainly prefer using PBW or as my local calls it BBW, much safer and easier to store...

Mark

1. Recirc PBW to clean the inside of the kettle, the silicone hose and the whirlpool arm (if you have one).
2. Get yourself a 15 L (or so) plastic basin from Bunnings; the sort you'd normally use for an oil change. This gives you somewhere to put your grain basket while you start the boil. You can then pour the drippings in, and take it all outside to hose off.

Can you suggest best place to buy pbw in bulk, currently I just get couple of 1kg tubs every time I order kegland items?
Think I saw 5kg in past but not recently?

Brewed my first Ag beer today using robobrew and brewfather, I hit the correct gravity and also the amount brewfather was spot on temperature didn't fluctuate that much a really nice day around, if it wasn't for the bloody cleaning and the fact my hose sprayed water everywhere. Man I love this hobby it smells so delicious also I'm sold
Congratulations
Sounds awesome
I might myself gravitate to a brewzilla gen 4 at some point, have a few brews to go yet n fwk’s

Can you suggest best place to buy pbw in bulk, currently I just get couple of 1kg tubs every time I order kegland items?
Make your own it's a lot cheaper.
I get the supplies from a chemical selling shop, does pool chemicals and cleaning agents etc.
65% sodium percarbonate, 30% sodium metasilicate and 5% EDTA

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pbw-alternative.98456/
Links in the above thread as well to a long US forum thread.

Have you talked with local home brew shop? Always the best place to start for something like this.

Back