GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, we spent a while trying to verify the Guten number as well. No dice.

While I respect your opinion altone, WEAL is most certainly biased. Affiliated - maybe not. On their payroll - maybe not. He could simply be passionate and that's okay. He's been heavily against KL and heavily for KK since day 1, employing some less than honest tactics (posting that fake photo to make the Ultratap look good, alleging KL are selling an uncertified Robobrew unit despite a certification existing, alleging patent theft). A lot of what's been posted in other threads indicates more than just a passion - it indicates an agenda, an ulterior motive.

So why is that really a problem? And more importantly - why should anyone care?

Because people come here for unbiased opinions. I don't give two shits about KK nor KL, they're both bad news for the brick & mortar LHBS down the road or across town from almost each and every one of you. If either of them get a leg up on the other, a monopoly will develop. They both sell practically the same units minus some minor differences. They both make beer FFS; same with their taps, they both pour beer. Neither is revolutionary in design.

The community is good at calling out KL on their crap (resurrecting old threads to spruik wares) and that should continue. If Admin or mods give a toss about their other sponsors they will impose a restriction on unsolicited posts by KegLand (that is, posting in a thread outside of their own, where they weren't directly asked a question).

Biased? Absolutely, an agenda probably. Many of us try to minimize our biases in order to share knowledge/experience in a positive way.Others don't.
I totally agree also about it's more KL or KK rather than supporting LHBS and forum sponsors.
I buy all my ingredients from a brewshop - not very local but still. Even though it might cost slightly more.
Equipment I've bought from both the above places to save cash and they are both local to me.
I believe most LHBS make the majority of their dollars from consumables so hopefully I'm supporting them enough.
But yes, support your LHBS otherwise they will disappear and you'll have to buy whatever the big guy says you want.

With regards to the discussion on whether a modification would void a warranty, a manufacturer could only refuse a warranty on these grounds if they can prove the modification caused or contributed to the failure.

Plenty of the Guten jackets in stock, came in with the new load of Gutens, there was mention of the switch covers being, or coming into stock.
Yeah, we spent a while trying to verify the Guten number as well. No dice.
And what was the number you were trying to verify?

Also I have said before I was neither for or against KL or KK it wasn't until KL started hanging all the shit on KK when KK had no right of reply.
I must say I have got some respect for KL, when they can develop a robotic tig welder to go inside a 35 mm hole and weld mini kegs from the inside, not only that, but in a mass production situation. Did they go and cash the idea in for untold millions of dollars. Nope they are battling on, trying to eke out a living importing cheap brewing gear from China.

Not sure which thread it was from TBH. The point was, we found a record of neither unit in that database, probably because they were in there under different names. Yet when someone pointed out the Guten wasn't in there either, suddenly it wasn't such a hot issue for you.

KK have a right of reply. It's called becoming a sponsor. In lieu of that they have you..

Holy crap, I stopped looking at the Guten for a bit while on holidays and have just noticed its now $499! - Now I'm furious I didn't pick it up at the introductory price. I thought it would maybe go up to 400 or something....but another $120 is getting pretty up there in price!

I bought mine a week ago even mentioned it in the thread, whirlpool arms are in also.

I was about to saw that it is absolutely pointless if they're not available on the website, as most of their customers will order online. Just checked once more and they appear to have finally been listed. Must have only happened in the last day or two, because they certainly didn't show up when I searched for them after WEAL posted the pic of both of his units with jackets...

I was about to saw that it is absolutely pointless if they're not available on the website, as most of their customers will order online. Just checked once more and they appear to have finally been listed. Must have only happened in the last day or two, because they certainly didn't show up when I searched for them after WEAL posted the pic of both of his units with jackets...
Been available in the shop for a week and a half, also I think it is insulting to insinuate that I got the jackets as some sort of deal. First rule of business, 'Aim High', have another look at the photo I put up.;)
Not sure which thread it was from TBH. The point was, we found a record of neither unit in that database, probably because they were in there under different names. Yet when someone pointed out the Guten wasn't in there either, suddenly it wasn't such a hot issue for you.

KK have a right of reply. It's called becoming a sponsor. In lieu of that they have you..
Did you look under MCH Australia. For right of reply ask you buddies at Keg Land why Keg King are no longer sponsors, sponsorship cancelled when KL came on board. (we know how they hate competition)
If you want to discuss differences between KL and KK start another thread, don't bring your grievances to the Guten thread.

Been available in the shop for a week and a half, also I think it is insulting to insinuate that I got the jackets as some sort of deal. First rule of business, 'Aim High', have another look at the photo I put up.;)

Like I was going to say in my post mate, it's pointless to be telling people to get them when they weren't available online. They only just happened to appear now

Like I was going to say in my post mate, it's pointless to be telling people to get them when they weren't available online. They only just happened to appear now

Looks pointless anyway. The pump just clogs if you try to use it post boil. The pick up for the pump would have been better on the side, not the bottom of the unit. At the very least right at the edge on the bottom.

Might work ok if you brew a 15IBU lager I guess. Who's got time for that though?

Might need to see if I can extend the pickup of the pump up 50mm or so off the bottom.

Looks pointless anyway. The pump just clogs if you try to use it post boil. The pick up for the pump would have been better on the side, not the bottom of the unit. At the very least right at the edge on the bottom.

Might work ok if you brew a 15IBU lager I guess. Who's got time for that though?

Might need to see if I can extend the pickup of the pump up 50mm or so off the bottom.

Err what are you talking about here? The last lot of posts were about the Guten jackets.

Oh if it's the whirlpool arm I'm with you on that.

I picked up my jacket yesterday and also the whirlpool arm.
As I had purchased the Guten 50L from them some months ago, they gave me the jacket for free as promised.
I fitted the jacket this morning, it is a great fit. Brew day tomorrow, will try both the jacket and arm out tomorrow and report.

As I had purchased the Guten 50L from them some months ago, they gave me the jacket for free as promised..

They doing that for everyone? Got one of the first, before the jackets were around. I need my next lot of little supplies ordered anyway and tossing up between KK/KL and would go KK if a jacket was thrown in with the order

For those using the 50lt, what evap rate, efficiency did you get for a ~43lt batch? Probably help if you knew the power setting you used for the boil too. Thanks in advance
edit: will be using the jacket too for continuity

Holy crap, I stopped looking at the Guten for a bit while on holidays and have just noticed its now $499! - Now I'm furious I didn't pick it up at the introductory price. I thought it would maybe go up to 400 or something....but another $120 is getting pretty up there in price!
Still value for money, only other option is the Robobrew 3.

For those using the 50lt, what evap rate, efficiency did you get for a ~43lt batch? Probably help if you knew the power setting you used for the boil too. Thanks in advance
edit: will be using the jacket too for continuity

I haven't measured it exactly but pretty sure the evap rate is close to 5L/hour.

You will struggle to do a 43L batch without topping up in the fermenter I think. 50L is the vessels volume to the brim.

I usually sparge to the 45L mark and then boil to about 40L and even then I have had 2 boilovers (although I wasn't watching it at the time, probably could have avoided it if I was paying attention)

40L is enough to fill 2 cornies so I'm happy with that.

My efficiency has ranged from 78% to 83% depending one the grist.

I didn't realise it was that limiting... Was planning for get to 2 cornies plus losses i.e 43 litres.
Thanks for the targets @Lionman did you have your power settings for boil?
Other have similar numbers?

I have tried getting to the boil at 3KW and then reducing the power a bit to say 2400W, but last couple fo batches I just left it on full blast. It does reduce the vigour of the boil a bit reduceing the power (funny that) but not sure what effect it has on boil off rate. Didnt pay enough attention.

Latest posts

Back