Guinness Draught Vs Invalid Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=medium]Guinness can be pretty variable in the UK in my experience. Trick seems to be to find a pub that knows how to serve real ale and the Guinness will rock. Standard pub serving Carling and John Shit and the Guinness was likely to be crap. Mind you, given the Chandos (Sam Smiths) was my local after work in London, Guinness was rarely drunk.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]At least Guinness on tap in Australia is pretty much uniform. Crap, but at least uniformly crap so you know not to bother[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Murphy’s in cans with the widget is so much better than Guinness IMO, if you’re after an Irish Stout[/SIZE]

So I'm drinking Guinness from a 440ml can with the slogan 'Brewed in Dublin' written along the bottom.

Being an admirer of Invalid Stout, I decided to buy a six pack of Guinness.

I was shocked drinking the Guinness. I would say the Invalid Stout has at least twice if not three times the flavour impact.

The Guinness is nice though, and I could see it appealing to a wider audience due to its more subdued flavour.

"I was shocked drinking the Guinness. I would say the Invalid Stout has at least twice if not three times the flavour impact."

Couldn't agree more, I find the Guinness tins lack body and are watery. Then us home brewers are a spoilt lot.

panzerd18 said:
So I'm drinking Guinness from a 440ml can with the slogan 'Brewed in Dublin' written along the bottom.

Being an admirer of Invalid Stout, I decided to buy a six pack of Guinness.

I was shocked drinking the Guinness. I would say the Invalid Stout has at least twice if not three times the flavour impact.

The Guinness is nice though, and I could see it appealing to a wider audience due to its more subdued flavour.
That's a bit like saying "being an admirer of Strong 9% Euro lagers I bought a six pack of XXXX Gold"...

Draught Guinness and Carlton Invalid Stout are in two entirely different classes of beer (stout and strong stout respectively) and within those classes there are different styles (dry stout and foreign extra stout respectively). - you could try reading the BJCP style guide to give you an idea of what the characteristics of each class are and whether these two beers tick the boxes for their particular styles.

IMG_0042.jpg
The foreign extra stout kicks all their arses.

I always remembered the Guinness Draught to taste more bold, but maybe I have just become accustomed with Invalid Stout.

Back