Grainfather vs RIMS build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Hey all,

Thinking about a new big(ger) brewing rig. My mini rig is working great and that's nice and easy and pretty quick for small batches. My bigger rig needs some work and whether that's just me sorting my processes out or diving in and building something a bit more clever than the 3v system I've got, I'm not entirely sure.

The problem I have is two or threefold. I don't really have the room for the big brewing rig I have, which is the main problem. Secondly I'm continually having issues with clarity (better on my mini-rig though). The big rig is your archetypical cooler (38L), boiling pot (50L) and hlt (crown urn). I could either persist with it until I figure it out or I could start from scratch(ish) with either a grainfather or build some kind of basic RIMS system.

I'm swaying more towards the grainfather because it's already built and I could just crack on with it. I'm not especially interested in making double or triple batches as I'm really making beer for me to drink rather than all and sundry. A single batch is plenty and it means I can spend more time making different brews than drinking the same one for weeks on end. So, no real interest in making more than 20 or so litres at a time. I am interested in the more technical aspect of brewing and learning step mashes and all that kind of thing which I believe the grainfather should be able to cope with?

On the other hand, I'm pretty interested in building a RIMS system because the DIY aspect does appeal and I think it'll work out a fair bit cheaper than a grainfather as I already have a pot I could use and then would just need the RIMS tube and heating element and a PID (or STC-1000 I suppose). But that probably won't do away with the space issue.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

What size is your big rig? I'm a couple of days off finishing my RIMS setup and can share some dos and don'ts, but mash/batch size and desired ramp times will ultimately govern your power requirements.

I have a 25L esky, a three ring Burner and a 2200W element. I have my pump/RIMS tube such-and-such that I can use the 2200W element in either the HLT/kettle or on the mash run, so it should help ramp times as well as give me the step mash consisyency/flexibility and I should be able to do up to just under 30L (with two sparges) if I want. On 2V, with 80something% efficiency into fermenter.

Hi welly2, here are some thoughts:

Clarity
  1. Do you whirlpool post boil?
  2. Does your boil pot have a tap on it or are you tipping the wort into your fermenter?
  3. Do you cold crash after fermentation is complete?
  4. Have you tried using gelatin?
Brew equipment
  1. Have you considered double batching and no chilling in cubes? Only add bitering hops, then mini-boiling on the stovetop for two different beers?
  2. Space - grainfather wins
  3. DIY - yes it is cheaper to build your own system but what is your time worth to you? Do you have the required tools?
  4. Price - how much out of pocket will you be if you sell your current gear and buy a grainfather?
  5. How much clean up will there be in a grainfather vs your 3V?
  6. Practicality - think about a brew day on your current system, then a brew day with a grainfather. Which do you prefer and why?

I did a load of reading tonight, watched a bunch of grainfather videos and then got pissed. The result of all that is I ordered a grainfather, courtesy of a UK tax refund. Thanks, the Queen!

Adr_0 said:
Well that escalated quickly...
It certainly did. There's nothing more dangerous than a man with a bellyful of booze and a credit card.

Jesus, just did some reading.

So the effective batch size would be about 23L, but do you need to add sparge water separately? Everything else looks awesome and half the price of a certain German competitor.

Adr_0 said:
Jesus, just did some reading.

So the effective batch size would be about 23L, but do you need to add sparge water separately? Everything else looks awesome and half the price of a certain German competitor.
You do add sparge water separately. From what I can tell, the process is exactly the same as a 3V set up except the MLT and boiling pot is in the same vessel. It has a grain basket which you pull up and lock it in place for sparging and then get your sparge water in.

Yeah just did some more reading. Looks like a great option actually, and comes with the chiller (unlike BM). I just recommended the GF to some mates who are looking at taking the dive into brewing...

welly2 said:
You do add sparge water separately. From what I can tell, the process is exactly the same as a 3V set up except the MLT and boiling pot is in the same vessel. It has a grain basket which you pull up and lock it in place for sparging and then get your sparge water in.
I hope it's gen two. Gen one pisses like a sieve. Wouldn't like to be the bloke to send it back to the UK for repairs.

I'm in Darwin! But still wouldn't want to send it back to kiwiland for repairs. Here's hoping then.

welly2 said:
I'm in Darwin! But still wouldn't want to send it back to kiwiland for repairs. Here's hoping then.
If you have to send it back, it will be to Brisbane. The customer service from imake is second to none.

aussie brewer said:
I hope it's gen two. Gen one pisses like a sieve. Wouldn't like to be the bloke to send it back to the UK for repairs.
No it doesn't, I've had a gen 1 since last year and I've not had a problem with leaks.

There are reports of some leaking units but it's not the entire generation.

It's also good to check on connections and tighten them on all types of breweries, commercially constructed, or DIY.

The unit you get should be gen2 though, with some nice new mods we've been giving feedback about.

Good decision on the GF.

aussie brewer said:
What a ridiculous comment. I've got a Gen1 and mine is fine also, 20+ brews on.

slcmorro said:
What a ridiculous comment. I've got a Gen1 and mine is fine also, 20+ brews on.
Sounds like aussie brewer got a dud, maybe that explains his post?

spog said:
Sounds like aussie brewer got a dud, maybe that explains his post?
Nah I got a 100l 3V system. The grain fathers we got in at work kept leaking. Gen 2 is much better they had upgraded a number of components hence the price rise.

Latest posts

Back