Gst On Hops And Other Food

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblythongs

Reaction score
Bought some hops a while back and just realized I was just charged GST on top of the price. What are the foods exempt from gst as I don't think any other fruit vegetable or herb carries GST unless it's cooked and handled by a cook before you buy it?

You would think that whole flowers maybe because they have not been through a process like being turned into pellets,
but then they are not really a food but a preservative and flavour enhancer.

Dude why not look it up on the net? ATO website will give u the exact info. No doubt one of the retailers could also answer but go to the source and ur guaranteed the right info

This got done to death at least half a dozen times, the answer is, and as a retailer both I and those who supply me are very interested in this question.

If its for brewing GST will be paid.

Like it or not you will be charged, if you are using hops (in this case) for some other purpose that would make it exempt from GST its up to prove that to the ATO and file a claim for a tax credit.

Sorry

MHB

They got to get their Beer tax from somewhere if you are not paying it at the bottlo one would imagine.

Dude why not look it up on the net? ATO website will give u the exact info. No doubt one of the retailers could also answer but go to the source and ur guaranteed the right info
What the ATO says:-

What food is taxable?
Taxable food for human consumption includes:

food for consumption on the premises it is supplied from
hot takeaway food
food listed in schedule 1
beverages (or ingredients for beverages) not listed in schedule 2.

As beer is not listed in Schedule 2, HERE , all ingredients used in it's manufacture are subject to GST.

And if a wholesaler charges me GST then I know I have to pass it on. :icon_cheers: and then do all the bloody paperwork etc... involved with it.

Cheers
Nige

So if I walk into a HB shop I'm going to pay GST on a bag of sugar as it's obvious it's going to be used for Brewing but if I walk across the street to Coles they won't suspect it and not charge the GST?

So if I walk into a HB shop I'm going to pay GST on a bag of sugar as it's obvious it's going to be used for Brewing but if I walk across the street to Coles they won't suspect it and not charge the GST?
Not too many HBS sell white sugar :icon_cheers:

Not too many HBS sell white sugar :icon_cheers:

Yes to the first

A surprising number do - which i just dont get

MHB

Latest posts

Back