Grumpys Masterbrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I get the message!

Will make the website top priority

Might post some price lists here in the meantime if that is OK

Our prices are pretty good: e.g. we charge $9.95 for a can of Coopers extract

Jovial Monk

wedge said:
[colour = red] don't get me wrong jayse, Grumpys is my home away from home aspecially now they have opened the new store near by my house :chug: . But just curious about their products and prices. All the brews (i think) are worth it. Just curious about other peoples ideas.

[colour = black]
Their malts, are they good. Are they better than, say coopers. I've been curious whether they make it themselves or just source from coopers?

Wedge
Wedge,

i ahve done several Grumpy Master Kit Brews - all with excellent results.
Try the Theakstons.

Now....If you want to do it cheaper...
Dont buy the 1.5kg cans of malt.
Buy 28kg of Coopers LME - either light or amber - i buy amber for 85.00.
Then, instaed of pay 35.00 - 40.00 for the master brew - it is say 10.00 cheaper.
You then add your own unhopped Coopers LME - cost approx 3.00 per kg.

this is what i did when i make my grumpys Theakstons.

Hope this helps.

If you live in Adelaide - come over and i will give you some Amber.

Maybe dried extract is better, liquid extract gets that 'extract twang' much quicker. The Muntons "amber" DME (only a tad darker than the light DME) is excellent extract.

for 1.2K of LME substitute 1K of DME.

Those that buy the 28K buckets, you have a plastic bin + honeygate for dispensing? A half empty bucket quickly gets mold growing on the top of it, so finish that bucket fairly quickly

Coopers supplies most of the liquid malt, though there is also LME from Lion Nathan. I would use the Coopers.

Jovial Monk

I've had no problems with Mould or growths with my 28kg of extract (I use a pail/honeygate). Its lasted me about 6 months now. Got a couple kg left.

My pail was sanitised well though (along with the honeygate). I dont lift the lid off while distributing it either (just undo it a bit so it can get a tiny bit of air through).

i didn't say the mold would be growing the next day :)

seriously though, finish the bucket off b4 stopping brewing. My bucket did get some mold on the top of the lme in mebbe 7-9 months

have heard other HBS guys bemoaning this

JM

Honey gate must be the go. I ended up chucking the last 5Kg of LME that I bought in a pail. It just had soooo much mould on it, I couldn't bear looking at it, let alone using it. Keggers could vent the pail's headspace with CO2.

I'm cursing all this wet weather now that I bought a huge bag of DME tho... there's no winning with this bulk-buy gig.

With our 25k bags of dme, once they are open we cover them with the bottom 20cm or so cut off of an empty dme bag. Mind you we go through dme like a drunken sailor, but never any sign that the extract has absorbed moisture from the air.

Maybe the HBS you bought it from will rebag it into 5K lots?

JM

JM

What is the dme in bulk worth.....

I think that it is a lot more expensive thatn LME...

Now, noting that I haven't done this but I remember reading about using bulk LME and the mold problem. Whereever I read this article it suggested spraying the surface of your LME after pulling some out, with 70% ethanol (alcohol), this will nuke most nasties but I'm not sure on the effectiveness against spores. The Ethanol shouldn't hurt the LME so it's probably worth a try. Up to you to decide anyway, just thought I would mention it. Oh yeah, use 70% rather than 100% as it has better antimicrobial properties.

Cheers, JD

Jovial_Monk said:
Maybe the HBS you bought it from will rebag it into 5K lots?
I was thinking of doing that myself now that the weather is getting so humid. (I live 40 kms from my HBS - ESB Peakhurst).

At the moment, I'm putting off bottling because I don't want to open the bag (folded over opening and sealed with strong pegs). I might just prime with *shudder* white sugar until the weather dries out.

Ken, I paid $110 for 25Kg of Bintani Light DME. I reckon it works out about the same as LME ($90+ for 28Kg pail) in terms of value, but should last longer without spoiling (I hope!!!)

Jovial_Monk said:
OK, I will look up the postage to those two places

Yes, I will match the $100/free postage offer.

My name is Tom Smit and I set up the Jovial Monk HBS nearly a year ago. Jovial Monk from the Trappist Monks who lived off a special heavy beer during the Lent fasting period. Bet they were Jovial!!!!!!!

I believe my packs are by far the best around becuae:

1. They have the highest extract/lowest sugar weights
2. Grains are packed seperate so you don't need to boil them , meaning much less astringent beers
3. Not only do we keep our hops in the fridge for freshness, you generally add more than one hop addition. lots of hop presence (flavor/aroma) without the beer being unbearably bitter

I will have a website up soon as I can

JM

How's the website coming along????

is that right tom
regards big d

adelaide_perth_home_brew_adventures_036.jpg

I recognize the brewery there.
Tom tasting the randallized demon ale at my joint.
I reckon the 'Face' says it all. :lol:

Jayse

Thanx Tom glad you enjoyed.
Double batch coming up soon next time cascade plugs in the randall i think will be good.

Jayse

jayse said:
Thanx Tom glad you enjoyed.
Double batch coming up soon next time cascade plugs in the randall i think will be good.

Jayse
Unreal Jayse....

Keep a spot for me...

:lol:

love to :chug: on a demon ale.

Latest posts

Back