Grumpy's Hoegaarden

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossco

Reaction score
Well after a few weeks delay, Adzmax and myself finally got together to kick off the Grumpys Hoegaarden Clone.

Grumpy's was a great kit. Pretty comprehensive. Its classified it as a partial as it came with a can of unhopped liquid malt. Still had to mash, boil, sparge etc. It came with 2 lots of hopps as well.

It was my very first time with any grain so i used Adzmax expertise & equipment. He helped me to no end, but after the weekend im definitely getting all the AG equipment....so please bare with me if i get all the terminology wrong :-D

I got the suggested wyeast from grumpy's and we propergated it for 3 days. to make 1 litre of liquid yeast. We Boiled 3 goldings hops with it too.

Pitched at 20 deg, OG 1.040 which is a little lower than i expected, but grumpy's do say alc % between 4 & 5% so im not too worried. Maybe we didnt extract the sugar from the grain as successfully as we should?

Have been checking it every day and the Krousen has formed...no sign of infection yet. Fermenter has stayed at a constant 20deg as well, which im happy with (as I dont have a fermenting fridge yet). Bubbling away nicely!

Adz gave me Grape & Grain Curaco dried bitter orange peel and I cracked 25g of corriander in a mortor & pestle. It smells wonderful...but didnt look that appetizing. Man it was a prick to strain into the fermenter as well....lots of gunk.

Im undecided as to racking it because with a hoegaarden you want the cloudyness, but will see. Should be bottling it next week. I will do my next reading in a couple of days.

One of my mates gave me his brewmaster Hoegaarden copy kit to try the other day. Was really good, but lacked the intense flavour of the real hoegaarden. It was still there, but not as good as the real thing. He just followed the instructions on the kit, and used only the kits ingredients, so im hoping the Grumpy's will be better. I wouldnt hesitate to buy the kit again. BIG UP TO ADZ, thanks mate!

Cheers

Rossco

Im undecided as to racking it because with a hoegaarden you want the cloudyness, but will see.

Dont bother racking it. Welcome to the slippery slope of making beer with grain. Fun isnt it?
Cheers
Steve

Beautiful drop. My favourite from the Grumps.

mate, that brew is the best one ive done by far. i have even left out the orange peel in my last (3rd)attempt and found it really good too.

you wont need to worry about it, or racking. you will love it. the only thing i can say against it is the colour. but that is because of the can.

cheers,

Lobo

Thanks Guys, yep I love the Ag method, just cant wait to get all my equipment!

Just did my first hydro test

11/04/08 1.016

still a little bit to go, but LOTS of sediment in the tube.

Your right about the colour Lobo, a lot darker than i thought

Hi Rossco,
Was this easier to do than you thought? I love Hoegaarden!! It's my fave beer.

What exactly did you have to do with the Grumpys kit?

Did you just throw it in the fermenter, add water then hurry up and wait :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Maxy

The kits a mini mash, It came with about 2.5kg of grain (mixture of Ulmalted wheat, Pilsner malt and Flaked oats - from memory). Mashed the grain @ 65c for 90 mins as per instructions, sparged then boiled for 60 mins with a 60 min bittering addition and a 15 min flavor addition. We then added the liquid malt extract and into the fermenter. It's a bit more work than a kilo and can brew. As I said to Ross, he's joined the dark side now, if you're mini mashing you may as well full mash!

AG shopping next weekend hehehe! Another AG brew buddy :super:

The kits a mini mash, It came with about 2.5kg of grain (mixture of Ulmalted wheat, Pilsner malt and Flaked oats - from memory). Mashed the grain @ 65c for 90 mins as per instructions, sparged then boiled for 60 mins with a 60 min bittering addition and a 15 min flavor addition. We then added the liquid malt extract and into the fermenter. It's a bit more work than a kilo and can brew. As I said to Ross, he's joined the dark side now, if you're mini mashing you may as well full mash!

Sounds awesome.
I have to wait till I get some more room before I can start brewing even K&K again :angry:
How do you kick the kids out again!!! :p

Hey mate,

im about to do my first partial too and ive heard awesome things about this recipe. my 2nd ever brew was a grumpys kit and was awesome so im heading back there soon to pick up what i need to do this.

i was just wondering if you could give me a run down on extra things i need for doing a partial as opposed to a KnK or extract.

i know i need a big pot, (gonna be getting around a 15L one in the next week) and a good thermometre.

am i able to do a partial with only 1 pot or do i need two??

a quick rundown on what you used would be awesome!

thanks
gerald

Hi guys,

I made this a month ago using the partial recipe on the Grumpy's site and using a tin of Coopers Wheat malt as the extract. I made some mods to suit the hops I had (Saaz and tettnang from memory) and changed the qty's of orange peel and coriander and was really happy with the result. There is a Belgian Wit partial recipe in the Calagione book and my recipe used the mash schedule from the Grumpys and everything else from the book. It turned out a great drop.

Cheers,

Tim

DAM Right AG Shopping this weekend!

Hi Maxy, unfortunately there are a little more processes involved than the normal coopers kits....having said that, with the right equipment (and expert guidance...your a chanp Adz!) its not as difficult as I thought. The hardest thing was keeping the temperature.

FG 1.010....I will be bottling soon. LOTS of sediment still so i will see if a day or two will let it settle to the bottom.

Smells the goods though, but as previously mentioned, was a lot darker than i expected.

Rossco

Hey mate,

im about to do my first partial too and ive heard awesome things about this recipe. my 2nd ever brew was a grumpys kit and was awesome so im heading back there soon to pick up what i need to do this.

i was just wondering if you could give me a run down on extra things i need for doing a partial as opposed to a KnK or extract.

i know i need a big pot, (gonna be getting around a 15L one in the next week) and a good thermometre.

am i able to do a partial with only 1 pot or do i need two??

a quick rundown on what you used would be awesome!

thanks
gerald

Hey Gerald,

Well we used a Sparge Vessle, Lauter Tun (Basically a filter in a bucket), Temp Probe, Timer, Big Stainless pot, Erlenmeyer flask (the scientific looking glass thing), hose, gas burner and a sieve. There was probably a couple more things but that was the main equipment.

We only used one pot fot this partial. I cant wait to try it in a few weeks!

Rossco

Hey mate,

gerald

Hi Gerald,

you might have missed the post in the Retail section but the Grumpy's brewshop is now an on-line shop only and there is no brewing stuff up at Verdun anymore. You are welcome to go up there for beer and pizza but Phil or I won't be there.
Visit the Grumpy's website if you wish to order anything, we assemble and pack on Wednesdays and deliver on Fridays.
Cheers,

Brad

Well I bottled it today.

I let it sit for 4 days in the fermenter to let more of the sediment fall to the bottom. Smells REALLY good. Seriously cant wait 2 - 3 weeks now :-D

Rossco

Back