Growing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Diesel that's very kind, I wouldn't mind trying that brew, been thinking about trying make an allgrain version of an extract kit coopers put together called centenarillo ale, it was a great drop!

Thanks Wort, I'll checkout the new one with the fluted rollers

I buy 25kg bags from Brewmart every 4-6 months and then get speciality grains shipped from Full Pint over east. Actually about the same price and a damn lot more convenient than getting it from Brewmart as it's such a fecking trek.

I wonder if this thread can get generally back on topic before it hits the six month mark:p

BottloBill said:
I wonder if this thread can get generally back on topic before it hits the six month mark:p
Fair enough, has everyone finished harvesting? Here is my haul.

Who is planning to chop their bines back before they die off and who is planning to just leave them till they brown off? I've heard that leaving them till they brown off is beneficial as they draw the nutrients back in the roots. I think I'll chop mine tho as the dog will eat anything that fits in its mouth and I have a few old cones that I missed the window for harvesting, I don't want them to end up on the ground because they'll automatically end up as dog food.

Don't have to worry about chopping like back. The dog did that for me.... F*cker.

My first year growing hops, also my first year as a dad so I kinda didn't plan properly with my hops. Also saw them get a bit of neglect during late summer (my own fault I know!) so I probably could've harvested more than the handful of Flinders than I did. My POR didn't develop flowers or cones and I have a weurtemberger that is almost a late bloomer but again no flowers or anything. But I learned a heap this year!
1) plant pots (the size I had) just won't cut it. They need boxes.
2) water logging is a real thing but at the same time they need regular feeding.
3) positioning is everything. That midday sun did some real damage in summer and at the same time need to be protected from the wind.

Can't wait for next year and hopefully get it a bit more right!

Anyone want a POR crown?

I have 2 $15 each. I'm in Padbury if anyone is interested.

I have a large Victoria rhizome up for grabs. See pic with stubbie holder for scale. It's in a 6L bag. Will cost you a six pack of Gage Roads atomic pale ale or similar
. I'm not interested in posting sorry.
Edit: that's Victoria not Vic Secret just so we're clear.

1472449041392.jpg

Thanks Mardoo, Yeah they are good this one has a heap of heads on it so should take off.

Hi troops, ive noticed that the perth heat is a big problem for growing hops. Can extra watering decrease the effects of the extreme heat? I planted two rhizomes a few months back, they are doing well right now but will be in the heat during summer.

I had POR and Cascade in pots last year. They grew okay and I got a little bit off them. The crowns are pretty big now and I shifted them to bigger pots. I used potting mix with well composted cow shit and a big layer of pea straw mulch. Regular watering too. Probably everyday or every second day.

Bruer said:
I'm not a member either, like flave just like brewing. I'd be keen to meet up sometime. Where is everyone?
Did anything come of this?

I'd be keen to meet up and learn new stuff. I'm in Padbury too

Not sure if anything did, at least not that I'm aware. I'm still keen to meet up. I'm away for 2 weeks, but will be back after that.

Bruer said:
Not sure if anything did, at least not that I'm aware. I'm still keen to meet up. I'm away for 2 weeks, but will be back after that.
I did see this guys but I've just been away and what with christmas coming up I figure people will be busy with families and friends etc. so what about trying to sort something for January?

Also depending on response shall we say if everyone could bring a 6 pack and then we can just sample each beer?

I figure do a saturday or sunday arvo? I'm happy to have some people to me (I'm in Padbury) or if anyone else wants to volunteer to host?

Yep, I'm in Duncraig and would happily drive the back streets back from Padbury. Keep this forum updated about a day and time. I've got an IPA (similar to the Little Dove new world PA) and a pale ale for January which I'd happily share (assuming the IPA lasts that long...)

I've currently got an Ordinary Bitter, Pils and blackberry cider on tap. I'm off the NZ today but will be back early January. I'm near subi and would probably just sample a few beers to avoid entanglements with the po po. Happy to bring sharable amounts though (like others, assuming that I don't kick the kegs)

Latest posts

Back