Growing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flave_7

Reaction score
Hey Lads and Ladettes,

I'm giving growing my own hops a go (I live in Padbury). Have got some random rhizomes (POR, Flinders and Weurtenberger). The guy I got them off sent me some hints and recommendations that he uses. Just wondering if anyone has some golden tips they've found that have worked. I'm only trialling these to see what works and what doesn't in my garden, so I won't be too upset if nothing comes of it but preferably I'd like to get some hops eventually.

Any advice welcome and you never know you may be rewarded with some hops (if I get some!)

Thanks in advance

Most important in Perth seems to be location to avoid hot dry summer - you want somewhere that has good sunlight but avoids the heat of the day. My best ones are growing along the south-east side of the house - get sun in the morning but the roots stay shaded, less hot wind.

Some varieties seem better too, Hersbrucker grew well.

I'm in Carine and I grow cascade. It starts late, but then picks up really quickly. Like mkj says, keeping it out of the scolding sun is key, but make sure for at least a good portion of the day there's direct sunlight.

Water all the time, and I feed it with seasol.

Cheers. They aren't doing too badly at the moment. See where this takes me.
Flinders
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1444785749.831155.jpg

POR
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1444785790.784492.jpg

Weurtemberger
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1444785824.417010.jpg

Never knew I had two brewers so close to me!
Hops look good. If you get too many next harvest drop me a PM i will magic some away :)

I'm just up the road in Wanneroo so there are definitely a few hops plants north of the river! Mine didn't have a great year last year, this year I have retic and they seem to be doing much better! I have a few spare Red Earth cuttings growing really well if anyone is interested? I'm happy to give them away for free but if you have a nice hop variety I wouldn't say no to a few cuttings about 10 cm long :D

This was just before re-potting out of the seedling green house.

Now they are in these but wont stay in here for long.

Hey guys, I'm around subiaco and my 1st year POR are going gangbusters.

The cascade are doing okay and will probably go crazy after today's heat.

Would be keen to swap rhizomes for different ones at the end of the season.

1447475315029.jpg

1447475341564.jpg

Yeah I'm keen to swap some cascade for whatever's going at the end of the season.

Wort I wouldn't mind a seedling. When the sun is up tomorrow I'll have a look for a shoot on my cascade to trade ;-)

The Judge said:
Yeah I'm keen to swap some cascade for whatever's going at the end of the season.

Wort I wouldn't mind a seedling. When the sun is up tomorrow I'll have a look for a shoot on my cascade to trade ;-)
Hi Judge, cool mate that sounds like a good trade :) I'm at work at the moment so give me a few days to get home before you go chopping it yet please, they start wilting really fast so I'd like to take the cutting and get it straight into the seedling tray with the rooting gel. Just to be clear these are cuttings so it's like getting a rhizome only lots smaller :) it might take the rest of the season to get going, putting it in the ground or a bigger pot will help it heaps.

Ok, maybe we can wait until end of season then. Two reasons: (1) dont have to go digging up the plant just yet, and (2) broke my ankle on the weekend so cbf doing anything except sitting with my leg up at the moment!

The Judge said:
Ok, maybe we can wait until end of season then. Two reasons: (1) dont have to go digging up the plant just yet, and (2) broke my ankle on the weekend so cbf doing anything except sitting with my leg up at the moment!
Oh nuts that's no good mate! Yeah for sure I understand it's all good, in many ways a rhizome swap is much easier for me than trying to grow up a cutting. Hope your not in too much discomfort.

The Judge said:
Sitting at work in the a/c, foot up on desk, trawling through AHB. Not too much discomfort :p
Hard life for some! [emoji12]

Also just gonna throw this out there. Anyone fancy getting together for a pint in the new year at some point in January? Whether we just all meet somewhere with a few samples of our brews or just go to a pub?

I'd be keen. Not sure if there's going to be much left after the rellies get done with my kegs though

Sounds good to me, I'll have to brew something that tastes nice, the last two have been disappointing. I do have a Marzen lagering that I'm hoping might be ok.

Sounds good to me.
I am mobile, have party keg setup, though not sure that would fly at a local pub.
Fan of the sample session idea. Even more a fan of it being within a few KMs of my house so I can walk home.

Will have my first APA, my Xmas Ale and possibly a Aussie Pub Ale available by the new year.

Cheers,
D80

Edit: Do I need to join the club to attend, or do I just rock up and drink the coolaide?

Latest posts

Back