Growing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a member of anything. I'm just a home brewer that enjoys beer. Just figure if I've got people nearby that brew and want a pint we can just do a few "official AHB meetings" and if you wanted to a few parks or even if someone wants to open up their home for a couple of hours we should sort something like a beer tasting out. Might learn something (I definitely would) and it could be a bit of a laugh.

I'm not a member either, like flave just like brewing. I'd be keen to meet up sometime. Where is everyone?

Is anybody growing at the moment? These are my boys! POR, Flinders and Weurtemberger
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448971485.368028.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448971518.533504.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448971541.744725.jpg

Any views/thoughts pinching the tops of hops off? I've not got heaps of room here and the hops are about 7-8ft. Thinking about trying to get them to go sideways but I hear they're not a fan of that.View attachment 85238

flave_7 said:
Any views/thoughts pinching the tops of hops off? I've not got heaps of room here and the hops are about 7-8ft. Thinking about trying to get them to go sideways but I hear they're not a fan of that.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449301683.530628.jpg
Just let them go they will just gro back on themselves. I have tried the horizontal thing this year and it can take a while for them to adapt anyway. I got maybe another 2 metres after going horizontal and then they where spent/exhausted/confused I guess, that being said it is where I have the biggest clusters of flowers producing.

1449308647258.jpg

1449308687235.jpg

1449308805758.jpg

Cheers BB. I'll give em a go sideways then as I've got plenty of latticework across the back so heaps of room that way!

How are you hips growing in this heat guys? Mine have stalled. At about 9 feet they have stopped. Wondering if it's a seasonal thing or they're deficient in something.

Mine have hit the top of trellis at around 9 feet and have been searching for more. I have some leaves turning brown that I'm concerned about, I've looked it up and it could be lacking in nitrogen but I've been putting seasol and power feed on them every 2 weeks.

I've been watering daily at the moment. I've got flowers though!!ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452121258.733575.jpg

If the concept got people really excited, then I feel they would of raised a hell of a lot more dosh in a lot less time.

Just my 2 cents

The PicoBrew Zymatic is primarily being used by professional Brewers to hone recipes. The new one though…meh.

Latest posts

Back