Growing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has my bush enough hops on it yet ;)

hop_bush.jpg

Have you boys started putting the steering wheel on the other side up there in the territory?

would love to say yeah i grow em like that up here but gotta fess up

I was thinking, if a guy that north can grow hops that good..... :(

sorry guys
however i hope it inspires people into what hopefully can be achieved under the right conditions.am seriously thinking about it up this way however the wrong end of the year with heaps of cloud and rain stop them.
maybe dry season only.

Some types grow better than others

we will find out soon enough big d......

all planted, fingers crossed :unsure:

Some types grow better than others

geez the bloke rubbing against the hop plant looks familiar ;)

Then there are the poppies too

And don't ring the FEDS , it was on a backpacking holiday , golden triangle

GMK said:
i have columbus and mt hood in the ground..
This is their first year...
one has lots of shoots - other virtually none.

will see what happens - hoping to create an adelaide hop rhizome exchange next year...

mind u - the Perth guys will try and make a comp of it and will try and make sure their rhyzomes are bigger tahn the adalaideons...

:p
Umm Ken,

How big is a SA pint?

Someone say FEDS, jeez those pics are nice batz
Here's some adelaide hops.

Not Jayse

DSC04028_1.JPG

deebee said:
GMK said:
i have columbus and mt hood in the ground..
This is their first year...
one has lots of shoots - other virtually none.

will see what happens - hoping to create an adelaide hop rhizome exchange next year...

mind u - the Perth guys will try and make a comp of it and will try and make sure their rhyzomes are bigger tahn the adalaideons...

:p
Umm Ken,

How big is a SA pint?
Lost me on this one DeeBee

jayse said:
Someone say FEDS, jeez those pics are nice batz
Here's some adelaide hops.

Not Jayse
So now we know where the SKUNK FART came from!!!
Lovely pics.

GMK,deebee is referring to the fact that SA pints are smaller than WA pints.

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
So now we know where the SKUNK FART came from!!!
Lovely pics.
Just incase any of the enemies i seem to have from the grumpies forum have a look here and are thinking of dobing me in, those aren't my plants.

These ones are, these where taken last year.

Jayse

hops012.jpg

I've read somewhere that its possible to obtain rhizome cuttings off the rootstock of hops that have been planted beforehand. Does this mean that I could get more cuttings from the original rhizome, in the second year, assuming that the bloody plant grew enough in the first year of planting? Some folks have suggested that when they relocated their rhizome that it had a decent rootball after twelve months in the ground...

Has anyone harvested their own rootstock?
Cheers,
TL

TL,
I was just given what looked like a clump of wood. About 6 inches long and about 3-4 inches around. I was assured it was some POR root and to just put it in the ground.
Surely enough its growing really well now. It has 3 shoots going for it. Justin was also saying you can get a cutting and propogate that way. It would probably take longer for a good size plant that way , but hey who cares. :D

cheers

This is not a trick question...... but, what are everyones plans for their hops?

I have a Hersbrucker ripping out of the ground (~400mm) at the moment.

My intention is to limit the predicted (massive) crop for use as aroma/flavour because the %AA will be unknown and can vary a lot. Are there any known 'backyard' methods of working the bitterness out?

Back