Growing Hop Plants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_wibble

Beer Odd
Reaction score
Greetings,

I bought some hop rhizomes off ebay a few months ago. I bought them in two sets, Hallertau & Hersbrucker, and Perle (from a separate seller).

Due to general life getting the way of more interesting things, the Perle hops languished in the fridge for a good 6 weeks before I managed to get them in the ground.

But now that Spring has sprung, the Perle hops are going absolutely mad, growing 10cm over the weekend. The other two - well, the Hersbrucker only broke the surface last week (I thought it was dead), and the Hallertau is about 5cm tall, and has been that way for some weeks. I realise different varieties will grow at a different rate, but it seems strange that one plant is flying skyward, while the other two are still waiting to have their luggage weighed.

Could this be because (like tulip bulbs) a bit of time in the fridge really helps them to get a wriggle on?

Is there anything I can give them for a kickstart?

They are growing in fairly poor soil (pH 5.5) but with a reasonable amount of chicken-poo compost mixed in.

Any green-thumbs out there?

thanks,
Wibble

all_hops.JPG

Greetings,

I bought some hop rhizomes off ebay a few months ago. I bought them in two sets, Hallertau & Hersbrucker, and Perle (from a separate seller).

Due to general life getting the way of more interesting things, the Perle hops languished in the fridge for a good 6 weeks before I managed to get them in the ground.

But now that Spring has sprung, the Perle hops are going absolutely mad, growing 10cm over the weekend. The other two - well, the Hersbrucker only broke the surface last week (I thought it was dead), and the Hallertau is about 5cm tall, and has been that way for some weeks. I realise different varieties will grow at a different rate, but it seems strange that one plant is flying skyward, while the other two are still waiting to have their luggage weighed.

Could this be because (like tulip bulbs) a bit of time in the fridge really helps them to get a wriggle on?

Is there anything I can give them for a kickstart?

They are growing in fairly poor soil (pH 5.5) but with a reasonable amount of chicken-poo compost mixed in.

Any green-thumbs out there?

thanks,
Wibble

Hi Mr Wibble and welcome to the forums!!

There are a few threads for Hop Plantations already with loads of info in... here's one from last year 2010 Hop Plantations and one for this year and this year 2011 Hop Plantations.

Happy Reading

Ive only started this year also but have noticed the same, the 2 chinooks I have are more compact and slow growing than the Tett and the Goldings I have, my tett is almost a foot high and the goldings came through and reached for the sky (all first year Rhizomes)

from what I understand they spend alot of energy in the first year establishing a good root zone and then go nuts from there on.

Good Luck

Yob

I have a few links for you to take for a test drive:

DIY Hops - How to Grow and Use Them
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=91

Growing Hops In 1/2 Wine Barrels 2010/2011, A first timers experience
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry786307

10 Tips for Hop Growers
http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indices...for-hop-growers

Grow Your Own Hops
http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indices...w-your-own-hops

This hobby can take up a bit of your day if you don't watch out.

Woohoo, my Perle rhizome that I left in the ground from last year has sprouted and is starting to climb the lattice. I'll just have to instruct the pool fence guys not to kill it when they do the install.

Give him a few bottles of your finest while telling him that the plants are to be left alone.

From what I have observed, I think that may be correct.

They really are rather variable in growth. I had some Chinook that were first to come up last year but then they just stayed at about 25cm high for ages, the other varieties had hit the top of the trellis before the Chinook got any taller than 25cm. Then the Chinook were the first to produce a harvestable crop, go figure! This year I have multiple rhizomes of the same varieites and they are not all growing at the same rates (seems as thought the ones that were in the fridge are the most vgorous at this point). I have some varieties that are the big parent crown and they're doing stuff all whilst smaller rhizomes cut from them (and chilled) are powering away (but not at the same rates).

Chill out man, be patient, just let em do their thing man.

Be careful when using straight chicken manure as it can burn the plants. If your soil is already acidic it may be best not to use it as it will make it more acidic. You are better of with a balanced organic fertiliser such as dynamic lifter and regular fortnightly applications of liquid fertilizers such as fish emulsion and maxicrop.

Be careful when using straight chicken manure as it can burn the plants. If your soil is already acidic it may be best not to use it as it will make it more acidic. You are better of with a balanced organic fertiliser such as dynamic lifter and regular fortnightly applications of liquid fertilizers such as fish emulsion and maxicrop.

Just out of interst, did you know that Dynamic Lifter is pretty much pelletised chicken manure? http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/australia_...ur=view_article
Hops certainly do like fish emulsion/seaweed mixes.

I bought a cubic metre of pimped* soil, would adding maxicrop be too much, or can I pimp the soil a bit as well?

*pimped meaning potting mix, soil, manure and a dash of tanbark

No sign of any shoots from my 2nd year cascade or chinook (Hope they havent died) but got some saaz this year that has shot about 6 feet already.

No sign of any shoots from my 2nd year cascade or chinook (Hope they havent died) but got some saaz this year that has shot about 6 feet already.

I think this random weather in Perth atm isnt helping. My cascade has a few shoots coming up but my other hops (wuertenburg) hasnt made it to the surface yet. Had a quick dig around and its growing just might not like the weather.

I think this random weather in Perth atm isnt helping. My cascade has a few shoots coming up but my other hops (wuertenburg) hasnt made it to the surface yet. Had a quick dig around and its growing just might not like the weather.

My Cascade in the ground has shat itself and stopped growing too. I walk out every morning and shake my head at it.

(1) Refer to picture and caption in post #7.
(2) My second year, parent crown of Chinook is not above the soil surface yet whilst the divided sections of chinook rhizome are +1m tall. Likewise with other types. Chillout man: Refer to point #1.

My Cascade in the ground has shat itself and stopped growing too. I walk out every morning and shake my head at it.

I had some Chinook that were first to come up last year but then they just stayed at about 25cm high for ages, the other varieties had hit the top of the trellis before the Chinook got any taller than 25cm. Then the Chinook were the first to produce a harvestable crop, go figure!
Refer to picture and caption in post #7

I've noticed that last year, they came up quickly and then stop for a while before going nuts again.

I bought a cubic metre of pimped* soil, would adding maxicrop be too much, or can I pimp the soil a bit as well?

*pimped meaning potting mix, soil, manure and a dash of tanbark

I am sceptical of the potential plant nutritional benefits of items such as tanbark to plants. Sure they may add a bit of organic water holding capacity but I think that is outweighed by their potential for adding undesirable compounds and actually decreasing nitrogen availability until they are actually broken down many growth seasons later.
Maxicrop or such is good; NPK in organic and available forms is good. Turd can be good or bad depending upon what sort it is and how it has been treated. Just to be clear I wouldn't recommend crapping on your hops. Pimps I am not so sure about; hookers have a role to fill.

My first year POR has hit the anchors after surfacing a month ago.
The Tett, Cascade and one of my Chinooks are on their way. ( The other Chinook is a lazy *******!)
These green things get more time than my 1 year old. I check em first thing and last thing...whats with that??

Agree with you hole heartedly regarding the tanbark..
Wouldnt plant nutrition relate directly to the quality of your plot. I.e. if you plant in an average soil, you will have to supplement. On the flip side, if you plant into well prepared or naturally good soil (good as in good for growing hops) you would likely be over engineering by adding too many goodies to the soil.
As long as you have worms you have plenty of micobes which enable bioavailable goodies for your hops. (Not an expert, do have a scientific backbround- hopefully logic prevails..)

I am sceptical of the potential plant nutritional benefits of items such as tanbark to plants. Sure they may add a bit of organic water holding capacity but I think that is outweighed by their potential for adding undesirable compounds and actually decreasing nitrogen availability until they are actually broken down many growth seasons later.
Maxicrop or such is good; NPK in organic and available forms is good. Turd can be good or bad depending upon what sort it is and how it has been treated. Just to be clear I wouldn't recommend crapping on your hops. Pimps I am not so sure about; hookers have a role to fill.

Agree with you hole heartedly regarding the tanbark..
Wouldnt plant nutrition relate directly to the quality of your plot. I.e. if you plant in an average soil, you will have to supplement. On the flip side, if you plant into well prepared or naturally good soil (good as in good for growing hops) you would likely be over engineering by adding too many goodies to the soil.
As long as you have worms you have plenty of micobes which enable bioavailable goodies for your hops. (Not an expert, do have a scientific backbround- hopefully logic prevails..)

Fresh worm turd FTW!

Latest posts

Back