Growing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We must have bought every Cascade hop rhizome that the nurseryman had, he did say that he didn't have many rhizomes to send out but he didn't hint at any virus though. I'll have another chat with him asap and report back.

How do the imported variteties go? I'm planting Pride this season, and was able to get goldings, tettnanger and hallertau, but didn't due to potential differences due to Australian conditions.

What differences occur in these hops to their proper locations? If not much changes I might plant some next year.

I planted williamette one and a half weeks ago and the shoots are already 6-8 inches long, will probably be a foot long by the weekend!

The changes in growing location will give your hops a unique character and it won't be like goldings, tettnanger and hallertau grown in Europe.

tdh said:
We must have bought every Cascade hop rhizome that the nurseryman had, he did say that he didn't have many rhizomes to send out but he didn't hint at any virus though. I'll have another chat with him asap and report back.
A dude down in Tassie (Stuart Ferguson) reckons the cascade hops in Tassie have a virus. I kind of got the idea from him that it was restricted to Tassie but I am not sure.

hey sosman you are right stuart has that strain there is also a strain that hasn`t got it but very hard to find in AUST. so as to my previous post don`t grow cascade with other varieties or you will infect them all. it`s a shame that some one in adelaide (hills) was or is selling them without telling the customer. I know I bought one :angry:
Regards
Mark

Has everyone who ordered hop rhizomes from jovial monk got them? I'm interested to know because all this talk of planting has got me salivating and I haven't got my rhizomes.

By the way, the aim of growing hops should focus on supplying adequate nitrogen to promote vegetative (leaf) growth. A late addition of potassium will promote flowering. I reckon blood and bone or one of those Johnny Carp products would be good and then switch to a balanced vegetable fertiliser late in the growing season.

Chatty

Nice work Darren,
Yes, these rhizomes are hardy buggers...I potted my Goldings because I plan to swap root stock at the end of the season with other club members who have heaps of other hop plants and are happy to give away cuttings. If you can exchange yeast starters, why not exchange hop rhizomes!
It might not taste exactly like the Yakima Chief or East Kent varietys, but it makes your brews unique - especially at competition time!!
Cheers,
TL

bonk said:
ok, i'll pipe up as well. i know people have asked before, however how would they fair this far north. i don't have the room, but my father has a nice sized back yard perfect for hops :) in katherine.

or seeing as dave has them "on special" buy some and see what happends????
Sorry to be so late with a reply...but;

I read an article or two and I seem to recall that hops didn't grow all that well at latitudes north of Sydney, compared to plantings south of Sydney...I'll probably get slammed by some grower who's up to their earholes in bines on the Central Coast :lol: but that was what I read.

For a good article on growing hops - click here for the oz craftbrewing article.

If you see vines growing on fences and houses in Katherine, you should be fine - but I would say you'd be lucky to get a decent return in that climate.

Disclaimer: I have no idea about horticulture etc, I just need more hops in my beer! :D
TL

Let's clear up the virus issue.

Hop latent virus is exactly that. Latent! The fact it exists (in many varietes) won't necessarily have an effect on yield, nor will it spoil your beer.
I know Grumpy's are selling them without any problems, they are OK to grow, so don't panic.
Generally, in the commercial environment, growers will grow them separately from other varietes, that's all.

Regards
Dave

Howdy again.
It is interesting that it infects Tobacco, Cannabis, Datura and Hops.
Is this an anti-drug virus?
Tongue in cheek!
Darren

Hi all...

I'm in Perth so you can get a dial on my latitude if you want....

I have two Hallertau plants in pots. They are 1 year old. I didn't get any yield from them in there first year got good growth. I suspect allot of their energy went into producing a good rootstock in their first year. I'm expecting big things this year. They have just sprouted this week.

A couple of things I learnt in the first year:
- They love the sun. I had mine in 1/2 shade to begin with and growth was slow. I moved to a full sun position and they took off again...
- If potted, don't let the soil dry out. If you do, submerge them in a water bath for an hour or so to fully saturate the soil again.
- Watch out for pests like caterpillars. Pyrethrum spray will sort them out quick. Mine also had an infestation of spider mite and you'll need white oil to deal with these bastards.... just remember cease all chemical spraying well before flowers appear....
- Water allot....
- At the end of the season cut of vines at ground level & cover with a thick layer of matured manure. then they'll take off the following year

Asher for now

Just bringing this to the top again - has anyone got their hop rhizomes from Jovial Monk? :(

Chatty

chatty just ring Dave or Mark at Goliaths 0882940888 and find out what they have left

I had to move my hops about a month ago due to a new fence line, but I managed to move a large octopus of roots and retained most of the soil around them in moving. The underground bit is much larger than the tiny little rhizome I planted out about 13 months ago. Hopefully that will translate into more than the 10g of flowers I got last season.

And whereas last year the sprouts came from one location on the rhizome, this year there are sprouts coming out of the ground over a much larger area. I wonder if, over the years, they will be crawling out of the entire vege patch?

Yippee! First buds of the Goldings Rhizome appeared over the weekend - go you good thing! :lol:
Cheers,
TL

Ok how about a contest.
See who can grow hops the best, by my last year efforts, which where their first year, iam useless in the garden.
Anyway i have a lot of small shoots on all of mine. Pretty well the only thing learnt last year is water them a lot and then a lot more. Also maybe it might be better to let a lot of the new shoots go first before cutting any off early, new shoots will still be coming up for a few months if i remember from last year correctly. Anyway i'll water everyday(mine are in pots) and let as many shoots grow as possible before i choose which ones to let grow and which ones to cut off.
I don't know if this is the right way so iam up for any ideas on growing these better.

Cheers Adelaide hop grower Jayse

i have columbus and mt hood in the ground..
This is their first year...
one has lots of shoots - other virtually none.

will see what happens - hoping to create an adelaide hop rhizome exchange next year...

mind u - the Perth guys will try and make a comp of it and will try and make sure their rhyzomes are bigger tahn the adalaideons...

:p

You only want 2-3 vines to grow from your rizomes, so ruthlessly cut back the weaker shoots.

For best results, the hops need some shade early in the season, once they are getting over 2' or so they need max sunlight, so the hops must be open to the northern sun.

To prepare a bed, dig in lots of aged cow poop, raise the bed and do not water the hops more than once a week and then water slowly and deeply.

When harvesting the hops, cut the vines back to ground level, cover ground with peastraw or similar

Jovial Monk
PS I got 500g green hop cones from 3 first year rizomes

Back