growing hops in QLD

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seehuusen

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to brewing, but like super hoppy beers... I've got a missus with great green fingers, and would like to utilize her to grow me some hops ;)

The questions I've got is first and foremost, what rhizomes grow best in QLD? I'm on the Sunshine Coast, so SEQ...

The next question is, where can I possibly get some rhizomes from? Anyone around here that has some I could purchase?
I once got some from a fella which had been frozen, they didn't turn out to grow, so I'd prefer something non-frozen if possible :)

Thanks in advance,
Martin

There are various threads on here for hop rizhomes.

Hops will grow in QLD...but.

Hops are a cold climate plant. They need long cold winters to produce maximum yield. This why most hop farms are in Tasmania and the highlands of Victoria.

Rhizomes are not ready just yet, but keep an eye on the threads and get your name down.

Basically its a case of what you are offered, not what you want.

thanks mate, so basically, I'll get a crop, but it won't be as impressive as those further south... I can live with that :)

now, there is a seller on eBay from WA, who has a range of hops types, is there any that would suit QLD better than others?
I've read somewhere that Cascade is a bit more forgiving on the hotter weather, is that right?

Still keen to hear what people grow up this way with some success?
and if possible, if someone up this way would part way with a rhizome, when it's a good time of course :) When is that though?

Cheers
Martin

seehuusen said:
thanks mate, so basically, I'll get a crop, but it won't be as impressive as those further south... I can live with that :)

now, there is a seller on eBay from WA, who has a range of hops types, is there any that would suit QLD better than others?
I've read somewhere that Cascade is a bit more forgiving on the hotter weather, is that right?

Cheers
Martin
I've got a couple of cascade rhizomes growing, they are fairly tolerant from what I've seen this summer, but that week of 35 degree plus temps earlier in the year killed mine off.

They've taken off again and are now going stupid, one has sent vines up about a metre in 2 weeks so I'm hoping to get some flowers off them yet.

In my experience Clusters and Mount Hood grow fairly well here. I have a few different varieties and they seem to yield the best. just make sure you keep them well watered especially during the hotter months

Cascade and Chinook also appear to do fairly well up here.

If you're going to plant this Winter for Spring, now would be a good time to be getting some organic matter into your soil and get some healthy microbe growth going.

Lots of manure dug in and a healthy layer of compost is a good starting point.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Hops are a cold climate plant. They need long cold winters to produce maximum yield. This why most hop farms are in Tasmania and the highlands of Victoria.
I didn't think this was necessarily true - it's more about the number of sunlight hours in the day than the temperature.

Parks said:
I didn't think this was necessarily true - it's more about the number of sunlight hours in the day than the temperature.
The way I understand it, you will get less lupulin resin-y goodness up north
Hops in colder climates will produce more oils, the less they have to shield themselves from the cold, the less oils they will produce (or so I'm told)

sp0rk said:
The way I understand it, you will get less lupulin resin-y goodness up north
Hops in colder climates will produce more oils, the less they have to shield themselves from the cold, the less oils they will produce (or so I'm told)
I guess the hours of sunlight must be to do with how many cones they produce then?

^ that was my assumption also. All other things being equal: climate for oils, latitude for cones. Might have read it somewhere.

EDIT: that said, I've just pulled some home grown cascade/chinook (not sure.. :unsure: haha) out of the freezer and they smell pretty damn nice. The cones weren't as tight as what you might get down south but there's still enough lupulin to do the job. (and my harvest each year has paled in comparison to the southern guys - check the last few "show us your hops" threads)

Here's what dried brisbane grown hops look like ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1397519241.073462.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1397519373.699980.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys! Nice looking hops Liam, gives me confidence that it is possible to grow these with success.

Do any of you know Where it would be possible for me to purchase some Cascade Rhizomes? I think I'd like to start with that, as it so happens to be one of my favourites ;)

Colder climates generally go hand in hand with long sunlight hours

Colder climates generally go hand in hand with long sunlight hours

seehuusen said:
Do any of you know Where it would be possible for me to purchase some Cascade Rhizomes? I think I'd like to start with that, as it so happens to be one of my favourites ;)
keep an eye on the forum towards the end of winter, some people dig up their 'zomes & replant them. Sometime you can pick them up for zip, sometimes for a reasonable price. Not sure if I will personally, because I'm not 100% which of my varieties are what.

Thanks Liam, if you do, please let me know :D

Do any of you know of a shop where I could buy some? I saw a seller on eBay, though his rhizomes sale finished yesterday, so I missed out :( Surely there are other places where I could buy them?

Interesting about the mention of longer sun light, could you grow these under a grow light? Or would the power bill far outweigh the cost of just buying them in a bag?!?

The point of cost was more so in relation to the electricity costs for running a grow setup for longer hours of sun :)
Thanks for the link, some impressive pictures for sure!!

The research I did today, suggests that I'll be able to find more rhizomes for sale in July, will keep my eyes peeled then :)
Has anyone imported rhizomes from the US? Is customs allowing this at all?

Thanks for all your input so far, great to hear from other brewer-growers :)

Hulu you can grow hops in Bris . You won't grow good hops in Bris . Unless you go hydro , full climate . It's just way too hot n humid up here man . I grow for novelty , I brew with proper cold climate hops .
Look around , pine apples, stawberries , sugarcane , mangoes . Do hop growing places grow these ? He'll no !
God says , the north shall be hop free !

well, I just got hold of a few different rhizomes, Cascade, Golding, Red Earth and Saaz... So that should be interesting to get going :)

Latest posts

Back