Growing Hops along a fence - bines stop growing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Any number of people grow up north, some better than others, totally the wrong time of year to start though now if that's what you are asking.
Yes I realize its the wrong time, Just seeing everyones plantations has me excited...

Plus the nice convenient eastern facing fence i have needs some real development work of the soil under it, so if i start planning now i have six months to improve the soil :D

Cheers.

Yob said:
I'd suggest your perspective has evolved from the fact that Tassie is backward from the rest of Australia. /quote]

If this is an attempt at humour, your an idiot, if you actually mean it, much worse and I won't type it.. Commercial hop farms in tassie for over 100 years hoppy..

Dayuum...

Merry.. Aah forget it..
OK that is going on report. My reference to Tassie being backward relates to the fact that hops develop later.

Cease and desist with the name calling. I have received warning points in the past for name calling and I suggest you should receive them also.

beerfarmer said:
Well.... I was always taught not to argue with an idiot, so I'm not about to start. Hoppy keep believing what you believe mate, I've no problem with that just keep it in your own head to save yourself from further embarrassment, and leading others down your garden path. Remember people believed the earth was flat until they were educated otherwise, so I suggest again that maybe you read up on this topic and get yourself educated. Maybe this is a chance for you to learn a little more. Cheers to you yob for backing Tassie!!! Merry Xmas!! Oh and by the way hoppy Tassie is a horrible backward place, not a place you would ever like to visit!.... No not really, I would still have a beer with you. :)
And the same applies to your name calling also.

Why on earth would I go and read a book that would suggest that shorter days bring on flowering when all my hops have been flowering for ages?

Pfffft. Pigs ass. Your post seemed fairly definitive H2B.
Once again you've criticised another avid hop grower, whose obviously got a clear understanding of biology, because you don't agree. C'mon mate, pull your head in a bit.
It's biological fact that hops and many other plants develop and flower depending on length of daylight. But that doesn't mean they won't flower early given optimum conditions.

MODERATION:

Some content in this thread has stepped over the mark with regard to abuse.
We could easily remove the offending posts but in my opinion some reasonable on topic content and information may be lost by doing so.

Let the name calling and the general abuse stop and keep the thread on topic and if comments made are only personal beliefs then say so, unless you may provide technical reference in the form of a link.

Thank you for your co operation.

Seriously, I should believe that rubbish that is telling me my hop plants are not all in full flower now and haven't been for some weeks, and will instead flower in a month's time?

You can believe whatever rubbish you want, just don't expect me to do the same.

Back down hoppy. Dicko's warning included you. You have opinions? Great. Back them up, politely and graciously.

hoppy2B said:
Seriously, I should believe that rubbish that is telling me my hop plants are not all in full flower now and haven't been for some weeks, and will instead flower in a month's time?

You can believe whatever rubbish you want, just don't expect me to do the same.
Hey, my cascade had cones in November while my chinook was barely a foot high. Easy to explain - good fertiliser, good weather, good growing conditions.
I had a mate, years ago, sponsored to grow a similar variety indoors and stuffed up the light cycle and wound up with all males. Explaining a $30k loss to the 'social/recreational club' that fronted the setup - not so easy.
In the eternal words of Jesse Pinkman: "It's science, bitches."

My plants started flowering about 6-7 wks ago. I rekon the orientation of the hop yard (my 3x 50l pots situated just under the verandah) has alot to do with it.

Even though daylight hours were increasing, there was a point (around early october) when the sun started to set further SW, leaving the actual plants in shade earlier than previous.

If I grew my hops in the middle of the yard & Knocked both neighbours houses down, then my plants would prob just have started flowering.

morning sun on my hops has always been late due to huge hedge in neighbours place.

Thats how i see it anyway.

Camo6 said:
I had a mate, years ago, sponsored to grow a similar variety indoors and stuffed up the light cycle and wound up with all males. Explaining a $30k loss to the 'social/recreational club' that fronted the setup
[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Did the bikies take any of his fingers as remuneration [/SIZE]

I can't help but think that the latitude of your growing area may play a part in the timing of flower commencement also. Sydney's nights are currently 55 minutes longer than Tas and Adelaide are 45mins longer than Tas.... As well as warmer temps, just a thought. Now to get us back on topic, here's a pic of a hop down the road growing along a fence line. She's a beauty. I'll post a pic when she flowers too as it's a sight to behold. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419841341.991194.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419841376.055794.jpg

Bomber Watson said:
Now that the cocks have stopped swinging...I hope....

OT, but hell, anything to redirect the thread a bit, any advice on growing hops in Central QLD? Pretty North....Any reading i can do on growing the tasty fuckers this close to the equator? Everything i find is very south, few lads in brissy, thats 600km closer to the antartic than i am....

Cheers.
Hi there Bomber,
Hoppy2B was kind enough to send me some rhizomes last year. The wet killed some and the heat others and fungus others but the POR and Dwarf Cluster are going well and the POR has a dozen or so budding cones atm( would be more if some mongrel, *******, critter would stop eating the tips of the bines). I have bugger all experience growing Hops but my advice would be to water really often in those hot months leading up to the wet and use a fungicide when the rain starts in earnest. Grasshoppers love them and the cane toads like to burrow in the loose, moist soil and they disturb the roots. From what i hear we shouldn't expect a big harvest anyway in the tropics. Hope this helps. Cheers.

wereprawn said:
and Dwarf Cluster
sorry to bring this up again... there aint no such thing as Dwarf Cluster, yes dwarf hops exist LINKY but there is no evidence that a: Cluster is among them b: have ever been either trialled in Australia or developed here AFAIK.

The fact that a particular hop may not grow to 'usual' heights is not indicative of a Dwarf variety.

I mean no particular offense to vertically challenged hops of any variety and wish them all the best for the future

leighaus said:
any idea what it is? what a monster!
Not sure of variety, but I'm guessing by the long cones on it last year that it's a POR. It's been establishing there for many years so I'd say there's a few crowns under all that growth. I'll take a closer look at her when she flowers and try to identify it.

In my experiences here on the Sunshine Coast they will stall in pots..... The ground provides more stable root temperature and moisture. ....and don't forget to feed them. ..... These are hungry thirsty plants (caveat: thirsty but with good drainage)....

Back