Growing Ginger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few different varieties. The one with red undersides has gone feral in the undergrowth of the Palm grove. It's thrown pups up to 4 m from it's original planting spot. The one in the tub is the commercial one mostly found in supermarkets beehive variety got cut back during winter and hasn't shown itself yet. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

manticle said:
Love to get some galangal going.
my galangal grows like a weed

cut it back very year to keep it in control

and young is best

saw you were in Fairfield and thought I would drop some off , then saw you are in Vic not NSW

Cheers anyway. Appreciate the thought.
No longer fairfield vic either but I guess north carlton won't make me much more local.

Good thread, here's my ginger crop. I've also had some shoots show up from some I planted in the ground in the middle of winter which I'd given up on a long time ago.

Ginger.jpg

My ginger doesen't die off in winter grows all year round as does my galangal, when i want some i just cut off a portion with a nice sharp spade and dig out leaving the main rhizome to just keep growing, both plants are about 1m in diameter so always have plenty on hand and only use new growth (2 years and under) about to dig out half of each up as they are getting too big .
Have been growing both for about five years so doen't use the original rhizome parts as i think they would be far to woody, They just grow and grow and grow, now taking up to much of the vege garden

TheBigD said:
I'm curious to know has anyone used galangal in brews?
I've got a massive galangal plant, and it occurred to me after reading this thread that I should give galangal beer a go. When I get around to it i'll report back.

Cheers,
RB.

Hey RB,
Read the Ginger Beer from Scratch (?) thread.
I happened to read thru it this morning. One of the last posters mentioned he'd done a 25% galangal Ginger Beer. He hated it. Not much info on why, other than it didn't work for him.
Everyone's tastes are different, so i'm not necessarily saying it shouldn't be done, but maybe look at doing a low percentage first, like 5%? Just thought you might like to know of someone else's results.
Cheers! (and let us know how you go if you give it a shot!)

Thanks mate. I've got plenty, so if it's shit the only loss is my time. I'm still willing to give it a go for the experiments sake, and these will be 100% galangal so I won't be approaching it from a "ginger beer" taste standpoint.

Cheers,
RB

Red Baron said:
I've got a massive galangal plant, and it occurred to me after reading this thread that I should give galangal beer a go. When I get around to it i'll report back.

Cheers,
RB.
Well I had a crack at Galangal beer, and I like it. The thread is here. I'll definitely be brewing it from now on.

Cheers,
RB.

I forgot to take a pic in peak season but here's most of my ginger harvest this year. The ones still growing I'll eventually re-pot into the blue half barrel.

Ginger Harvest June 2015.jpg

It will take a couple of seasons before you have enough to really harvest. Planting in a big pot makes it easy to harvest. Just dump the whole lot out. Some ginger , like some garlic, is treated to stop shooting when in the shops.
I just buy mine at the market for $5 a kg.

Yeah I mainly wanted to harvest so I could use the half barrel instead of the many smaller pots I'd whacked them in last year.

Back