Growing Ginger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigD

Reaction score
After a long time considering making a ginger beer but always being put off by the cost of ginger at over $26kg I thought id have a crack at growing it and after some research I discovered its piss easy. So after purchasing a healthy looking chunk from woollies and planted it some weeks ago in a medium size pot I've now got my first sprout.

Ginger basically grows from a rhizome over the summer months similar to hops and the root harvested when the foliage starts to die off.

I did a forum search and I didn't find much on this topic so id thought id make a post just to remind any newbies that may be put off by the cost of ginger just how easy it is to propagate grow and harvest ginger in pots or your garden over the summer months.

anyway here's a pic

IMG_0006 (2).JPG

Timely. Planted some myself yesterday. Complete beginner but had done some recent reading about how easy it is. Will see in coming weeks.

Heres mine as of 5 minutes ago.

2015-01-02%2018.34.29_zpsi3kfu0if.jpg

Much the same, I got the idea from here:

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-ginger.html

Same same, just got a nice plump looking Rizome of about 250gm or so from the local green grocer (only $19 a kilo, suck shit :p) when i was grabbing ginger for my kit style ginger beer, broke it up, and shoved it in potting mix.

I planted it way to early, was like May or something, so just coming into winter, and didnt think it was doing anything, kept feeling around and sussing out the rizomes, had them sitting in full sun to get some warmth, didnt do much, did see a few of the horny bits starting to grow a bit of shit, was about to chuck them out when i went for a dig one day and noticed they were stuck, had started shooting root, this would have been about August...Let them sit for another couple of weeks and had sprouts, so moved them into the shadey spot there in now since then.

Knowing what i know now, i would have planted them around August....This is for CQ, so a bit hotter than other locales.

From what i gather from the above link you should ignore them for the first year, or more, and harvest after a fair stay.

Cheers.

And there are different edible species of ginger with different flavors. Getting rhizomes in Oz might be hard though. Just young ginger alone might have enough of a flavor difference to be interesting. Pickled young ginger. Yum!

Awesome people! What originally got me thinking was after cooking a stir fry Id left a piece on the bench which after a week had started to shoot, so off I went to youtube lol, I did originally plant this piece but it seemed to die in the ass so I turfed it for a fresher piece. I've been waiting very patiently for this sprout and hopefully looking forward to posting some harvest pics down the track.

And gingers ain't gingers either. We have several types growing here from beehive styles, variegated and the straight commercial variety. Not all are edible apparently. And there's a huge difference in flavours between varieties.

A little OT....lemon grass is easy to grow but keep it in a pot or it will choke your garden

Yeah, I tasted my way through all the Hawaiian wild gingers I found when I was there. The worst of them was not bad, the best, sublime. However most of them had, officially, unknown edibility, so I didn't go apeshit with the tasting.

Three words: ginger flower lei.

manticle said:
Love to get some galangal going.
Easy to grow if you find a plant, got mine from a Vietnamese market stallholder who are selling plants
Ginger is easy to grow but if you want a lot stick it directly into the garden.
IMG_0138.jpg

wide eyed and legless said:
Easy to grow if you find a plant, got mine from a Vietnamese market stallholder who are selling plants
Ginger is easy to grow but if you want a lot stick it directly into the garden.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0138.jpg
So not like ginger in that you can't stick a piece in the ground and wait?

I would presume that would work, never really thought about growing galangal until I saw the plants the Vietnamese woman was selling. Its true that it does not die back like ginger but the woman I bought it off said not to let it get too wet, so it is in a good sheltered spot.

I might have a crack next time I grab some. Pain in the arse to peel, unlike young ginger but such an amazing flavour. Got a very healthy vietnamese mint plant out the back so should be a good companion.

Galangal, turmeric and ginger all going nuts in my garden. I bought the rhizomes from the markets and stuck them in the ground.
Ginger and turmeric die off and come back around september where I am. Galangal keeps on going.

First time don't harvest a lot but divide and replant. Next year you will have heaps. So nice walking around the backyard and digging up enough stuff for a thai curry paste.

Latest posts

Back