Group Brew by Correspondence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with gone brewing's idea of whatever yeast we think is appropriate for style.

I'm happy to organize one or two of the beers from the bjcp/aabc list so that we can make a comparison on the day.

Clearly, brewers choice for the yeast is the winner so let's lock that in.
I'm going to stick with 34/70 and maybe split the batch for a 2nd yeast, kolsch if I'm organised, something dry if I'm not.
Some commercial examples is a great idea Fungrel. Let us know which ones you get, I work close to Barneys and I know they have one or two.
It's going be a big day of tasting. Who's brewing the IIIPA for when need some hops

I just picked up a bottle of Bridge Road's version from Dans... may have to grab another so I can drink this one ;)

I would really like to do one with the French Ale yeast, but apparently its seasonal and i missed it by 6 months :(
I may do a double and leave one cube till the yeast comes out again.

I guess i will go with belle saison, in my experience it gives a subtle saison flavour, so should hopefully suit well.

I have just read that using a wheat beer yeast at low temps may be the go too
I would imagine that would limit the spicy, while letting through a little fruit

3 monts is a wonderful beer (from memory... i had allot of Belgian beer that night)

I am yet to use any of the Mangrove Jack's yeast, think i will get experimental and combine M47 and 34/70.

Just need to read up on the best way to approach fermenting with a lager and ale yeast.

That could be interesting.... ferment at ~16C

Mashing mine in now. Doing me a double batch, thinking of leaving one cube until the French Ale yeast is released again from white labs.

Will start fermenting end of next weekish, depending on when my summer ale moves out of the ferm fridge.

Colour looks good :)

IMAG0200_1.jpg

Well, I knew it was going too well.
Ended up with a 3 hour mash cause wifey decided to go shopping. I think it worked in my favour.
Ran out of gas in the middle of the boil, so ended up boiling for somewhere between 70 and 120 mins.

Anyway, managed to get it done, a little less than ideal, but depending on the OG, I can always top up when I put the sugar in.
IMAG0201_1.jpg
IMAG0202_1.jpg

Ordered mine during the week and got it on Thursday.

I wasn't going to do it this weekend, but I ended up with more time than I expected, so I jumped on the opportunity.
Benefits of grain and hop stocks along with cubing.

Used the water filter for the first time as well. Hoping for a good'n

I currently have my best arm in a cast, so it's likely that the brew will be considerably later than most.

Kegged a batch on Saturday and that was a disaster.

Well that was bad planning.
Pending on what I'm doing on the weekend, I may be able to drop round and give You a hand.... no pun intended...

First cube in the fermenter. Spot on 1.060, no topping up for me.
Pitched 2 packs of Belle saison.
Will be throwing the second cube on top tomorrow after the yeast has had time to get jiggy.
Fermenting at 17C, so hopefully it will get some saison fruitiness but not a whole heap.

Sample tastes like a wurthers original....

The sugar will be going in as the activity starts to lapse.

Can't wait to taste this one :)

I knew you would have faith in me :)
My 1 saving grace is that all of you have to drink it too. Mwahahahha

You can always blame the recipe too!
All things going to plan I'll be brewing this weekend.

got wifey picking up the Bridge Roads Biere de Garde from dans now for the tasting.

How is everyone's brew going?
Mine is fermenting slow, as to be expected putting a saison yeast at 17C. Got to 1.030 the other day.
samples are tasting pretty great... I just want to measure the gravity constantly :)

I'm stalled - if things go well I'll order ingredients tonight, and if things continue to go well I'll brew at the weekend!!

Let me know if you need anything, I have most of the grain bill stocked (now).

Back