• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Grolsch Swing Top Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reg

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am newly registered to this site but have been visiting for a while and it has been quite helpful to my brewing.
I know that they are like gold to most brewers but is there anyone in the Melbourne area that would like to get rid of some Grolsch(or other brand) swing top bottles.
If not does anyone know where I can get some?

Cheers
Reg

Drink a lot of grolsch? I still get given the odd four pack of those bottles (full), it adds nicely to my collection and its not the worst euro lager, at the right temperature in the right glassware.

If you can't get the real thing, I've seen coloured-glass versions of various sizes in homeware/bargain shops. The big ones (1.25L ?) are more common, and they have the same type of seal. OK for parties...not so good glugging down 1.25L in front of the TV!

Hi there,
I am newly registered to this site but have been visiting for a while and it has been quite helpful to my brewing.
I know that they are like gold to most brewers but is there anyone in the Melbourne area that would like to get rid of some Grolsch(or other brand) swing top bottles.
If not does anyone know where I can get some?

Cheers
Reg

Also if there's one around you somewhere check out your local market. I've bought a lot of gear at mine...

I have seen them being sold at bottle recycling depots indivdually and by the dozen

if you cant handle the taste of grolsch. Theres another option, Schwelmer does a pils i believe. Good drop regardless and around the same price as the grolsch. And another bonus is it comes in a swing top bottle. They have it in my local Dan Murphys so id imagine it would be in one in melbourne. Look around in some good bottle shops though, because you are sure to find it somewhere.

nick

Grolsch also do an amber ale if you can find it. It's not a bad drop, makes a nice change from Pilsner if you are a bit over the style.

Bonus is it comes in brown bottles rather than green.

amber.jpg

I just bought a box of 20 from tooronga Village for $62.
I have rung around most HBS in Vic looking for them but have come to a dead end.

Cant say I have seen the brown bottles but will keep looking.
Anyone in Melbourne know where there is a local bottle bloke anymore I could get some from?

Might Have to keep drinking it to build a stockpile :( :(

Cheers
Reg

I dont know if anyone else has this experience - but - I used to think Grolsh bottles were excellent until I very slightly overcarbonated an APA that I made. I kegged all but 8 500 ML swingtops and lost 4 of them - strangely they all blew the bottom off the bottle - like someone had gone around the base with a glasscutter - surgically clean breaks - I still use them as giveaways but I always bleed the pressure after a week of carbing.

As far as where to get them - dont know - I had 48 of them given to me (for the sepcific purpose of me giving them back full)

RM

I kegged all but 8 500 ML swingtops and lost 4 of them - strangely they all blew the bottom off the bottle - like someone had gone around the base with a glasscutter -
RM

Nup never experinced that one. I have been using them for around 10yrs..

BYB (Back Yard Brewer)

I've always found Grolsch bottles to be really strong. I sometimes use them for bottling slurry, and a couple of ones I've forgotten to burp have later proved to be under immense pressure, without exploding.

Maybe they have changed the construction of them? Wouldn't be surprised...

I dont know if anyone else has this experience - but - I used to think Grolsh bottles were excellent until I very slightly overcarbonated an APA that I made. I kegged all but 8 500 ML swingtops and lost 4 of them - strangely they all blew the bottom off the bottle - like someone had gone around the base with a glasscutter - surgically clean breaks - I still use them as giveaways but I always bleed the pressure after a week of carbing.

This effect was discussed on the forum recently - namely that beers seem to carbonate more in swing top bottles. It makes no sense that I can see, but I have also noticed that my beers seem more carbonated when bottled in swing tops, Grolsch or otherwise. Not sure if I have noticed this effect in the 1.5l magnums, although I only have three of them and have about 20 smaller ones.

Anyone with a hypothesis??

Latest posts

Back