Gravity Readings During Fermetation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O-beer-wan-kenobi

Reaction score
I have done a batch of American Pilsnerstyle beer using Wyeast 2007. I made a 4.5l starter based on Mr Malty calculator and pitched this last Saturday morning.
It took around 36hrs to get going and I could see a nice layer of yeast at the bottom and a krausen on the top. However the airlock wasn't as active as I am used to so I have taken some gravity readings.
OG was 1.054 on saturday
on Wednesday it was 1.048
on Thursday is is 1.042

Is this normal for this type of yeast as its the first time I have used it? Its nearly a week and usually I would be close to FG.

Batch size is 22l
OG was 1.054
Temp fermented at 11 degrees

Sounds like your right on track...leave it alone....check again in 7 days. Lagers fermenting at 11C ferment slower than your ales at higher temps. And don't forget to crank the temp up to 18C or so for 24-48hrs once you've achieved final gravity for a diacetyl rest.

Sounds like your right on track...leave it alone....check again in 7 days. Lagers fermenting at 11C ferment slower than your ales at higher temps. And don't forget to crank the temp up to 18C or so for 24-48hrs once you've achieved final gravity for a diacetyl rest.

rather than after fermentation is fully complete you could start the D rest, as kario mentioned, a couple or more SG above your terminal gravity to give the yeast a good chance of mopping up the diacetyl

more info on the starter?

36 hrs is a long lag time, especially with a starter.. somethings NQR.

more info on the starter?

36 hrs is a long lag time, especially with a starter.. somethings NQR.

36 hours is pretty normal for a lager yeast - especially if it's a few months old.

doesnt that depend at what temperature he pitched it and for how long it remained at that temp?

If the starter was done right it should be further along.
I made a lager recently with WY2007 and it dropped from 1.041 to 1.013 in 5 days, at 12C.

If the starter was done right it should be further along.
I made a lager recently with WY2007 and it dropped from 1.041 to 1.013 in 5 days, at 12C.

I split the yeast into 3 and added this to 500ml of wort and stepped this up to 4.5l over about a week with intermittent shaking. I pitched this probably around 16 degrees and brought it down to about 11 degrees.
It's now been a week and its down to 1.034. I have more yeas that I can throw in if needed

Two days later and Im down only 4 points to 1.030. The airlock is still going the same rate and has never really taken off at all.
Is this showing the signs of underpitching?
So far the taste is OK. I just hope this keeps going down to FG.
Temp is still 11 degrees, maybe I should give it a swirl and raise the temp?

Back