Gravity Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
G'day,

I made a batch of pale ale on Saturday. One big mash and then three kettle loads of about 50L each. I made two stronger, putting the first 25L of run-off into kettle 1, then the next 50L into kettle 2, then the next 25L into kettle 1, then the rest into kettle 3.

I had lost the little pippette that came with my refractometer so I tried to dip the end of it into some wort in one of the kettles just before it started boiling. After that I couldnt really use it properly because the inside of it looked all wierd and I couldnt see the blue line clearly - I think I fogged it up on the inside.

I no chilled each kettle, then on Sunday transferred them into fermenters, pitched some US-05, bubbled some oxygen and measured the OG of some left over wort with a half working refractometer which was difficult to read.

Kettle 1 = 1059
Kettle 2 = 1069
Kettle 3 = 1042 (after the addition of some dextrose)

Today I have been checking the gravity of various brews I have and thought I would check how Kettle 1's brew was going as it was nearby. I measured it with the refractometer (which was now reading quite clearly) and it read 15.6, which would correspond to an OG of 1061 if it didnt have yeast yet. That was wierd. I got out the hydrometer and checked it and read it as 1056.

At this point I checked various stuff to check the refractometer was working properly (I checked water, which read 1.00 and I checked a different brew with the hydromter which according to the refractometer and beer smith should have been at 1010, which it was).

Using the refractometer tool in beersmith, if I choose 'Fermenting Wort Gravity', then put in refractometer brix reading of 15.6 and an original gravity of 1073, then the corrected gravity of 1056. This, I think is what the real situation is and that I read it incorrectly to begin with. It also tastes a little fizzy and the airlock is bubbling (I put the wort onto a yeast cake that was just left behind by a previous brew and bubbled oxygen...so it probably has fermented quite far already).

What do you guys think?

That second link confirms what I thought, that you can work out the original gravity by checking the finished, or partly fermented beer with a hydrometer and a refractometer.

Latest posts

Back