Grand Ridge Moonshine & Supershine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still dont get "your" definition of infection. Horses back on a summers day? means nothing. When people shitcan micro breweries why cant they do it in a manner that would be constructive. I am guessing Adam`s infected beer is either mind over matter, extremely unlucky or he just heard some bad things on AHB.

Is there a problem or something? The only shit-canning I can see is coming from you.

Licking a horses back on a summer day = horse sweat = Brettanomyces, and my opinion is that horse sweat was not a desired characteristic of the beers I tried.

The OP asked if anyone had tried the beers and what they thought of them. I wrote about my experience.

The OP asked if anyone had tried the beers and what they thought of them. I wrote about my experience.

You canned the brewery with no explanation of your "infection"
Regardless, dont drink it. Easy!!! Then dont comment 18 months later.
FIW, Everyone wrote about their experience, you were on the front foot second post in.
If you cant explain the infection and just wanna "throw back" dont post in the first place. Comments like you made are derogatory to the brewer and brewery.

You canned the brewery with no explanation of your "infection"
Regardless, dont drink it. Easy!!! Then dont comment 18 months later.
FIW, Everyone wrote about their experience, you were on the front foot second post in.
If you cant explain the infection and just wanna "throw back" dont post in the first place. Comments like you made are derogatory to the brewer and brewery.

:lol: Righto...

I had some Blonde once, it went off like Mt Vesuvius. I ended up with about 1/3 of a stubby.

The Gippsland Gold is one of my favourite brews.

I do believe, however, that the beer has changed over the last couple of years. Could it be due to pasturation? I don't know.

I don't want to slander their name, just recounting drinking experiences.

Hatlifter Stout... mmmmmm. Always reminds me of 'shirtlifter'. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Moonshine is one of my most favoritest of favorite beers.
Big, yeasty, malty.
Im not an expert on Scottish beers, but this tasted like a fine belgian Dark Strong Ale to me, and if there was a brett infection in there, it either complimented the flavour or was hidden in the other massive, robust flavours.
Awsome beer.

Just had my first beer from this brewery - their pale ale. It definitely was not infected. Was terribly average though.

Won't be partaking in bagging Grand Ridge's beers on the taste front, but I will attack them on this - their bloody foiled labels are too hard to get off for the average HB'er. If you're listening Grand Ridge, get rid of the gummy glue! Brown crown seal stubbies like yours are too good to waste!

Cheers & Beers, :icon_cheers:

Hopper.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of something I wanted to mention. Completely OT but related to their bottles. I also had my first Mildura Breweries beer tonight and was surprised to discover that they both use the exact same bottles. Never noticed this with any other two breweries before - how weird is it that I bought them both at the same time?

Moonshine is one of my most favoritest of favorite beers.
Big, yeasty, malty.
Im not an expert on Scottish beers, but this tasted like a fine belgian Dark Strong Ale to me, and if there was a brett infection in there, it either complimented the flavour or was hidden in the other massive, robust flavours.
Awsome beer.
I had a Moonshine (my first) last night, and agree with everything SB has to say. It had a lovely thick head, lots of body with a touch of residual sweetness, and noticeable alcohol. I was thinking "a bit like a Chimay Blue (but not quite as good)" so yes, I would agree that its like a Belgian Strong Dark.

Oh, and no sign of infection as far as I can tell. My local Dan Murphy had a promotion a few weeks ago and were serving up little cups of the different Gippsland brews a few eeeks ago, they were just opening stubbies and pouring them out. They didn't seem to be worried that there were any infections.

I say, support your local micro brewery, their beer is on par with lots of the (over-rated) imported stuff.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of something I wanted to mention. Completely OT but related to their bottles. I also had my first Mildura Breweries beer tonight and was surprised to discover that they both use the exact same bottles. Never noticed this with any other two breweries before - how weird is it that I bought them both at the same time?
I've noticed that a few other micro breweries use the same bottles. I got 2 cartons of these stubbies cheap at G&G, and they came in a Holgate carton, but stubbies were unlabelled. I don't think the micro-brewewries here in Aust have the scale to get their own special bottles. It's different when they have a mega-swill owner, who can subsidise bottle costs.

I recently (end of last year) tried a bottle of moonshine - was an excellent beer! Good one to appreciate around a warm log fire in winter!
I found the moonshine at Dans, but unfortunately I still can't find the supershine anywhere!??

I live in the Western Sydney Area, near Parramatta. If anyone knows where I can pick up a supershine please let me know.

Thanks Heaps!

Beer007.

Try Northmead Cellars. Top shop with a great range.
30 Kleins Rd
Northmead NSW 2152
(02) 9630 7316

Cheers,
Thommo.

I know where there's a case of Supershine and it can stay there. I saw it in the fridge at the bottom of the pile at one of the local bottle shops.
After my last experience with this stuff I wouldn't be willing to risk a carton of the stuff. Especially with no best before date to be found anywhere on the product.

Edited to say that my experience has been with a box set and not Supershine but it was enough to put me off anything they produce, and it's not cheap.

I know where there's a case of Supershine and it can stay there. I saw it in the fridge at the bottom of the pile at one of the local bottle shops.
After my last experience with this stuff I wouldn't be willing to risk a carton of the stuff. Especially with no best before date to be found anywhere on the product.

Edited to say that my experience has been with a box set and not Supershine but it was enough to put me off anything they produce, and it's not cheap.

Yeah, I have heard lots of bad reviews of the range, regarding off beer and metallic tastes,
Although I was given a box set and all the beers were fine, with some that I thought were great. Either I got a lucky good batch or the others have been stored badly...

and the moonshine which I bought separately was probably one of their best.

I definitely would not buy a case and probably just buy 1 bottle to try first off - (I have had my fair share of bad batches from many different breweries, so I never buy in bulk!)

Supershine is a barleywine, so "freshness" is actually not a good thing.

I haven't tried it but it is still on the list of "to try". The moonshine is a great drop.

I live a street across from the Grand Ridge Brewery it has just had a big revamp inside which looks pretty neat you can get a good view of the brew floor also the beer seems to taste the best it has ever tasted in my opinion the fresher it is the better it is of course it is best on tap i just wish locals didn't have to pay top dollar for it..

I live a street across from the Grand Ridge Brewery it has just had a big revamp inside which looks pretty neat you can get a good view of the brew floor also the beer seems to taste the best it has ever tasted in my opinion the fresher it is the better it is of course it is best on tap i just wish locals didn't have to pay top dollar for it..
Maybe you should offer to mow the grass for beer?

Latest posts

Back