Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebejeckel

Reaction score
I have some grain for steeping and i have grain needing a mash, am i able to add both of these grains to a BIAB, same bag same time, ?

If you are doing a mash (65-68 degrees for an hour) as part of your BIAB, then yes, throw all the grains in at once.

When grains are 'for steeping' that means they don't need to be mashed, it doesn't mean they can't be mashed.

I just put my crystal malts, caramalt etc steeping grains in with the base malt when doing my BIAB. I have heard of brewers adding their crystals etc in the last twenty minutes of the mash, but I don't bother. It would involve unwrapping the urn, in my case, and losing heat. I believe the idea is that keeping the grains in the mash for the full 60 or 90 minutes could cause tannin extraction from the husks but I've not found that to be a problem.

I usually get my grain bill milled and blended at the HBS - I haven't had a problem mashing them all together in BIAB. It all comes together in one bag, ready to mash... GBIAB (Grain Bill In A Bag)??! :lol:

Back