• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Grain Volume In Mt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have secured the services of a brew buddy who wants to brew with me on a regular basis. I have a converted 50L keg as a mashtun & am looking to brew double batches (40L), but am looking to calculate my MT capacity (grain/water) for batches generally in the 1.050 range.

BTW I batch sparge.

Cheers
Paul

You should be fine with that mash tun, but i mentioned in another thread earlier, grab yourself a copy of beersmith (if you don't already have it). Then input your gear (50ltr mash tun, kettle size etc), and then once you enter your recipe, Beersmith will do the water calcs for you, and also give you a warning if the batch exceeds the tun volume.

Cheers SJ

Yeah you should be fine using our current 50L keg, I can fit 13kg into my Esky no worries when doing double/almost triple batches

(Mods - probably should move this thread from Marketplace to the Pub or similar?)

Paul, you shouldn't have any issues with a 40L result in a 50L converted keg as a MT. That's what I use, and brew 45L batches. Can accomodate heaps of Grain - pushed as far as 14kg once... you'd need likely under 10kg for a 1050 depending on efficiency you get.

edit: or +1...beaten.

if you fly sparge you can do triple batches 60L

Brew buddy should be useful to help you hoist the bag as well :icon_cheers:

... Beersmith will do the water calcs for you, and also give you a warning if the batch exceeds the tun volume.
Don't take Beersmith's answer as gospel, you need to find out from experience how far to push your system. My alledged 36L MT is full at what Beersmith reports as 32L so I just work to a 32L limit and then all the calcs work prefectly.

Latest posts

Back