Grain Through To Kettle - Detrimental?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All.

Put down another AG brew on the weekend and for the first time only ONE little thing went wrong.

I think the false bottom lifted a little in the mash tun and as such I had to recirc for about 15 mins before little bits of grain stopped coming through. As I was sparging though I did notice that there were still some little bits coming through (30L pre boil volume).

At the end of the sparge I reckon there was about 80-100grams of grain in there. Not one bit of this ended up in the fermenter - fortunately grain settles to the bottom at the end of the boil.

Will this give an astringency to the beer? Will this small amount of grain have a negative impact in the finished flavor?

Cheers.

Just wanted to bump this back to the top - for the first time I got not one response... :(

It will be fine - it isn't ideal but that small amount won't do anything noticeable.

Relax

I doubt it would make much difference, maybe a tiny bit. Did you give it a taste? You should be able to notice any bad astringency from tannin extraction even before fermentation.

Thanks fellas.

I did give it a taste prior to fermentation and it tatsed bitter, sweet and delicious - as it always does prior to the yeast working their magic.

Thank you! :)

I'm only new at this, but wouldn't this be an ongoing problem for BIAB Brewers?

I'm only new at this, but wouldn't this be an ongoing problem for BIAB Brewers?

BIAB, HERMS, gravity whatever, unless you boil kettle or fermeher looks like porridge you wont have anything to worry about. As for the BIAB (not that I do it) I'd guess you'd have less issues unless you split the bag or spill some.

I had a biab batch where the bag slid in on a corner without me noticing until i took the bag out. probably let around a kg in. I tried to get as much out as i could using a sifter from the kitchen before boiling but still had a fair bit in. I boiled and it ended up fine. It was a very simple pale ale with just pale ale malt and a touch of munich from memory, and just some clean bittering hops (used the levtover hops from a hop tea). Ended up perfectly fine though I havent done the recipe a second time so I dont have anything to compare it to.

Back