Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
hello,

Ok, I am looking around at grain mills and have stumbled across this one-
http://www.retsel.com.au/html/lil-ark.html

Is this one good for cracking grain for brewing? Is it any good? If no to the forst two, what should I use intead? where would I be able to get them from? My knowledge on grain mills is quite limited, I have only just started looking around at them. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Peas and Korn,

Those grain mills you were looking at are not really what you want. They tear the husks apart as well as the grain itself. You will end up with alot of fine powder which will effect your sparge rates, it can even stop your sparge altogether. What you really need is a roller mill, these just crack the grain in two or fours keeping the husks intact. You will find your effeciency will also improve. You can get an adjustable mill for around $200 - $250. You wont be sorry, I promise.

Hawko :beerbang:

barleycrushers.jpg

Dave

do a search here on grain mills.

then look up www.crankandstein.com

Jez

peas_and_korn said:
hello,

Ok, I am looking around at grain mills and have stumbled across this one-
http://www.retsel.com.au/html/lil-ark.html

[post="94347"][/post]​

Those mills basically rip the grain apart rather than "crush" or "crack" it, which is not the ideal milling technique for brewing. People do use them and they get by, but a good quality roller mill is the way to go. I have a barley crusher and its great. I haven't got any experience with the crankandstein ones, but I can't imagine it could be much better than the BC - great little unit!

The three mills that brewers tend to use are:

1. Barley Crusher

2. Crankandstein

3. Valley Mill

None are available in Australia, but can be shipped from the US with minimal effort.

These mills do work ok Dave

I admit not as well as a roller mill but then we can't all afford a roller mill straight up.

I owned a 'Porkett" mill like this for a while when first starting out , it served me very well.
They are also easy to resell when you can upgrade , I sold mine to one of the Perth brewers , Goat I think?

This rip and tear thing is true , but nowhere as bad as it sounds , you will find a lot of people quoting this have never owned a corona mill.

BTW for the last few years I have owned a Valley Mill and this is an exellent mill

Check out "Porkett" grain mills , should be not too much over $100

Batz

my corona mill was cheap as p!ss (Gaganis) and works ok
if i could find a roller mill i would have bought one but the corona does ok for the time being. I know at least one other brewer on AHB who uses a wee corona mill.... :)

Hi there,

There's also the Marga mill. A low cost option (mine was about $100 from Grumpy's). It's a roller mill, gives a very good crush and hasn't guven me any grief.

Hawko777 said:
You will end up with alot of fine powder which will effect your sparge rates, it can even stop your sparge altogether.

Not to mention fine grain powder is explosive...seriously :ph34r:

If you don't believe me just google it.

PZ.

P&K

Have a chat to Stagger. He's building a few and they look pretty schmick.

do a search for grain mills and his thread should come up with pics and details.

A vote here for single roller PhilMill 1, which I bought from Grain & Grape.

I've done over 50 batches with it now, and am very happy with it. Beautiful quality crush, and easy to adjust for funny grains.

Yep P&K just finished the last 2 if you are interested PM me, we have our club meeting this week and they will go then i would think a number of people have seen them in action.

Having said that i would get what you can afford mine is a little more expensive but will last and would give it a 100% guarantee, but there are a lot to choose from.

Get one that is robust dont fork out money if it will only last 6 -12 months

Stagger

Latest posts

Back