Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
anyone got recommendations on a grain mill, decent qaulity and priced well?

rough budget?

theres the marga mill, crankenstein, the monster mill and the millmaster mill. All at differnt price points and all seem to suit people.

I have a monster and I love it (except for my recent issues which are my own fault) BUT in saying that if I were buying today I'd probably go the millmaster.
All this said plenty of people are happy with their marga mills - but then plenty of people upgrade from the marga to a millmaster or monster. I dont know much about the crankenstein.

Mashmaster Mini Mill - Kick ass piece of kit. Don't be fooled by the "mini" part of the product name. It's the same size as a Crankenstein or Monster Milll.

Geared, stainless roller, super quick and easy to change gap setting, can be run well off of a drill with a 13mm chuck. Most drills are 10mm so check yours first if you want to go this way.

Sold my Crank to a mate, and upgraded to the mashmaster mini. Couldn't be happier with it.

Craftbrewer sell them for around $225-$249 or something....great mill.

Having said that, if you go a monster, a crank, or something similar you won't be disappointed. I just went this way for the geared rollers and ease of adjustment. Besides, once my mate bought my crank, the change over was stuff all from my end.

anyone got recommendations on a grain mill, decent qaulity and priced well?

I'm happy with my MM2, especially since it's motorised. Mind you I haven't had any experience with the other mills. I bought the hopper and base with the MM2, the hopper fits 5kg of grain. The roller gap is easy to adjust too although I just run mine at 0.9mm.

very happy with my mash master mill. I love that it's geared especially after seeing that it can sometimes be troublesome getting the free roller on an ungeared mill to bite.

Another vote for the MM2.
$250 ish, but it will last longer than you do! Your grandson will be crushing his grain with it. It's easy to adjust the gap. It's geared. It's awesome!

Just bought a Crank and I have had no issues with it yet. Can run it with the drill quite easy.

crankandstein 2d is pretty great, adjusting the gap on the fly is super easy with the detented adjusters

+1 for the crank 2D. No issues so far, crushed wheat all by itself and it powered through it. Even at the highest speed of my drill's high torque setting it didnot have any issues at all.

Another vote for the MM2.
$250 ish, but it will last longer than you do! Your grandson will be crushing his grain with it. It's easy to adjust the gap. It's geared. It's awesome!

IF keen on the MM2, start a new thread on here asking another brewer to split postagefor a cheaper price per unit on the MM2.

Great mill I use one too.

With the $ still pretty high - don't forget the JSP Maltmill. It has the same size rollers as some others but they are 10" long. super quick - it takes 3.3 seconds to crush one pound at 400 RPM according to the web site!

http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm for info.

they can be bought from http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/bare-bo...le/4,10641.html US$127 - add US$51 for gears & US$34 for case hardened rollers.

I just got the barebones adjustable model with both the gear option & hardened rollers - top but of kit! It chewed through 5kg in no time - unlike my barley crusher...

no affiliation blah blah - but had good dealings with Dave from the grape & granary. note The web site doesn't quote international freight. Just go to the check out. Once they receive the order, they will contact you with a freight quote before processing the order

I chose this mill over the MM etc simply cause it is twice as long, has a huge throughput (i often mill 25+kg) & i could get hardened rollers (+ an option for a bigger gap for corn - but that's a different story)

Crozdog

thanks guys,
dont want to spend heaps, even $200 is bit much at the moment
sent off some emails for postage cost on the crankandstein and MM2

do you guys bolt it to a bucket?

do you need to buy the base and hopper? easy enough to make your own? the base looks simple, would cut shipping cost

do you guys bolt it to a bucket?

do you need to buy the base and hopper? easy enough to make your own? the base looks simple, would cut shipping cost

I have the base and hopper. Hopper works great.

I clamp the base to a table (so that most of the mill is overhanging the edge) then I just put a 20L handy pail underneath and run it with a drill. I can pour the whole 5KG grain bill into the hopper and grind that straight back into the pail into the same pail I mixed the grain in.

I use a base and hopper sourced from bunnings, cheap pine board as a base and some roof gutter fittings as a hopper. Then I clamp the base wherever I want to use it, though I'm working on a more permanent fixture.

thanks guys,
dont want to spend heaps, even $200 is bit much at the moment
sent off some emails for postage cost on the crankandstein and MM2

Talking $US, but roughly speaking its the same as $AUD

The MM2 mill is $117
Plus $45 postage. If you find a local who also wants a MM2, you go halves in the postage, so $22.50 each

So 117 + 22.50 = $139.50 for a mill to your place. (or $162 without sharing postage)

Knock up a cheap mill hopper etc for under $20 and you have a mill that will last you a life time. Check out mine for a basic knock together job, not fancy but does the job.

If you want the extras, you might as well go the Craftbrewer one, it already has Stainless rollers etc. But you break your under $200 budget.

The MM2 base fits perfectly over a 32L wheely bin from Kmart, works a treat. No dust here... :icon_cheers:

today_061.JPG

lukasfab,

i may be keen to split postage with you. im in hamersley

i was looking at a crankenstein 2D.

markymoo

Guys

how important is a stainless set of rollers?

should I fork out he extra cash?

cheers adrian

Latest posts

Back