Grain mill BB once again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard anything bad. I read te last tread and everyone seemed pretty happy with the purchase. When I was speaking with leg king they said they have been selling the same make now for a number of years ad that the one they have install has milled about ten tonne of grain so far and is still working fine.

Is there a link to check their specs. I am due for an upgrade but I like the look of the 1 with stainless rollers. I do like shiny things.

I picked one up last week.

I've come from using one of those caroma mills which I'm pretty sure only cracked the plate when I applied 150nm of torque via my dewalt driver.. anyway...

This thing is much better, only really has 3 settings though on the roller, I milled mine on the finest setting which seemed to do the job I wanted it to do.

Unless I was doing something wrong, then it doesn't appear you can go in between those settings. It feels like the turning screw thing for the thickness setting is more of a slot it sits in then a smooth adjuster.

They come with a metal hopper which is a bonus.. Its really just 4 sheets of pre bent sheet metal with little screws. But its reasonable in size. It just slides on to the mill, the mill has 2 hex bolts on the inside that the mill latches on to.

There is no base, and you will need one. I just bought a sheet of MDF from bunnings and cut a slot on it and bolted it in place. It doesnt come with mounting bolts for this so you will have to pick some up. Cant remember the size off the top of my head, I had stainless ones lying around.

The drill had no dramas spinning the roller, seemed to have little resistance at all. Mind you its a brand new drill, and its a dewalt.... Not the cheap crappy bosch that I killed... I read somehwere, possibly on here, that it doesn't take much torque to spin it.. Which cant be said for the corona type mill.

Went through the grain I had left pretty quickly too.

Unlike the caroma one (I was able to thread a nut in, then use a socket to spin it), the shaft is round with a slot cut in to it... The drill managed to shave some steel off the shaft and I had to retighten the chuck a few times.. I might consider filing it down to a 1/4" hex so I can use the driver rather then the drill.. It doesnt need the torque, but at least the Hex shouldn't shave bits off the shaft and it does spin slower.

Not sure why I didnt take any photos of it, would have come in handy right about now....

1. Aussie brewer (penrith NSW)
2. Cochise (Panania, NSW)
3. DaveHQ (Ballarat, Vic)
4. professional_drunk (local)
5. TateG (melb, Vic)

tateg said:
5. TateG (melb, Vic)
I'm in but wont add myself to the list until we get close to the required 20.

If we cant get these at this discounted rate I would prefer to buy the Barley Crusher.

Just wondering whether you had a collection price from Keg King?

Cheers.

AJ80 said:
Just wondering whether you had a collection price from Keg King?

Cheers.
Yeah I enquired about pick up from keg king. It has to be a bulk order so that is inclusive of shipping here with is less then $2 a person anyway as they are doing us a deal on postage. So it's still $117 a unit it's just that you won't have to pay postage back from Sydney so probably save yourself $20-$30 in postage. They only request that pick up is within a week of the payment for logistical reasons.

Thanks for organising Aussie Brewer! Thumbs up.

5. TateG (melb, Vic)
6. 431neb (Melb - can pick up)

Endo said:
I picked one up last week.

I've come from using one of those caroma mills which I'm pretty sure only cracked the plate when I applied 150nm of torque via my dewalt driver.. anyway...

This thing is much better, only really has 3 settings though on the roller, I milled mine on the finest setting which seemed to do the job I wanted it to do.

Unless I was doing something wrong, then it doesn't appear you can go in between those settings. It feels like the turning screw thing for the thickness setting is more of a slot it sits in then a smooth adjuster.

They come with a metal hopper which is a bonus.. Its really just 4 sheets of pre bent sheet metal with little screws. But its reasonable in size. It just slides on to the mill, the mill has 2 hex bolts on the inside that the mill latches on to.

There is no base, and you will need one. I just bought a sheet of MDF from bunnings and cut a slot on it and bolted it in place. It doesnt come with mounting bolts for this so you will have to pick some up. Cant remember the size off the top of my head, I had stainless ones lying around.

The drill had no dramas spinning the roller, seemed to have little resistance at all. Mind you its a brand new drill, and its a dewalt.... Not the cheap crappy bosch that I killed... I read somehwere, possibly on here, that it doesn't take much torque to spin it.. Which cant be said for the corona type mill.

Went through the grain I had left pretty quickly too.

Unlike the caroma one (I was able to thread a nut in, then use a socket to spin it), the shaft is round with a slot cut in to it... The drill managed to shave some steel off the shaft and I had to retighten the chuck a few times.. I might consider filing it down to a 1/4" hex so I can use the driver rather then the drill.. It doesnt need the torque, but at least the Hex shouldn't shave bits off the shaft and it does spin slower.

Not sure why I didnt take any photos of it, would have come in handy right about now....
Thanks for the description. Much appreciated, hopefully it gets a few more people interested.

aussie brewer said:
Yeah I enquired about pick up from keg king. It has to be a bulk order so that is inclusive of shipping here with is less then $2 a person anyway as they are doing us a deal on postage. So it's still $117 a unit it's just that you won't have to pay postage back from Sydney so probably save yourself $20-$30 in postage. They only request that pick up is within a week of the payment for logistical reasons.
Cool, thanks for getting back. $117 is still a pretty good deal!

I've had mine since the last bulk buy and its great, does exactly what you want it to do, easily adjustable and seems durable enough to last a while

5. TateG (melb, Vic)
6. 431neb (Melb - can pick up)
7. zburns (Northern Beaches, NSW)

eddy22 said:
I've had mine since the last bulk buy and its great, does exactly what you want it to do, easily adjustable and seems durable enough to last a while
Yeah the guy from keg king said that their one instore has crushed about 10 tonne of grain and it still kicking.

Even if your brewing every week it will last 38 years!!! Pretty good mill I think. I'm keen as to get my hands on one only 13 more people and we can order.

Before I jump on board can some one tell me what sort of flow rate can be expected eg. kgs per min/hr.
Thanks

Mash Head your question doesn't fit with my (imagined) view of your lifestyle. Are you going to mill a serious amount of grain or is Kangaroo Island as hopelessly caught up in rampant consumerist panic as the city?

mash head said:
Before I jump on board can some one tell me what sort of flow rate can be expected eg. kgs per min/hr.
Thanks
At the recommended 200 RPM. The flow rate is about 2-3kg a minute. That is with a drill not by hand but I am sure you knew that.

phoenixdigital said:
I'm in but wont add myself to the list until we get close to the required 20.

If we cant get these at this discounted rate I would prefer to buy the Barley Crusher.
I do like the barley crusher also. They seem pretty similar. I mainly went with keg king as I purchase from them regularly and I have never been able to fault any of their gear. Also seeing how popular it was last time and all the positive comments. It has been tried and tried again and comes out looking pretty good.

Definitely Keen on one too. The thing is that I am heading OS for 6 weeks in three weeks, so the timing might not work for me :(

If people wanted another option there is the The Original Barley Crusher MaltMill that Micah from Core Brewing Concepts is selling. I'm not sure what price he can do, but a super nice guy. If people are interested I can speak to him about what he might be able to do price wise. II'm not trying to cause an issues here, just a suggestion. :chug:

5150 said:
Definitely Keen on one too. The thing is that I am heading OS for 6 weeks in three weeks, so the timing might not work for me :(

If people wanted another option there is the The Original Barley Crusher MaltMill that Micah from Core Brewing Concepts is selling. I'm not sure what price he can do, but a super nice guy. If people are interested I can speak to him about what he might be able to do price wise. II'm not trying to cause an issues here, just a suggestion. :chug:
No issue, it's all good. Yeah get a price if you don't mind and let us know the comparison

Back