Grain & Grape Bock - When To Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEALE

Reaction score
I have the Grain & Grape Bock in the fermenter in the fridge since 20 May. OG was 1.060 and now after 3.5 weeks @ 10C the SG is 1.021. I racked it into a cube last night after leaving the fridge off for 2 days to try for the dicetyl rest, however I don't think its warm enough as it has topped out at 13C. If I lager now will it continue to ferment out or should I bring it back to 10C to finnish the fermentation, then lager? Any recommendations on Lagering temp for this recipie?

Yeast Wyeast 2206

Malts Amount Type
Liquid Malt Extract 1500
German Pilsner 300
German Dark Crystal 400
German Carafa Special 100
German Melanoidin 100
German Wheat 100
Dry Malt Extract 2000

Calculated Original Gravity 1.061

Hi Deale

I am doing a very similar brew myself at the moment, with the same yeast.

Started at 1.062 and is not at 1.016 and still going ... very slowly ( after about 2.5 weeks, now down at 10C which is on the cool side).

According to wyeast it should attenuate to 73-77%, so I would wait a bit to see if it drops further. It should at least get down to about 1.016.

Did you only pitch the one smack pack? Unfortunately lager yeast is fairly fussy and you need to at least double what you do with ale yeast. Also with the higher gravity you need even more yeast. I did 4L of yeast starter for mine.

So your yeast might just be a little tired. Try agitating the fermenter or even give it a bit of a stir ( without splashing it and with a sanitised spoon ).

If that doesn't work you can add a pack of saf-lager to see if it can finish it off. I've had to do that before.

Cheers

Chris

nothing to add just that i'm making the same recipe this weekend but using sludge from another brew.

i'm going to try lager it for 2 months, there is aparently some kind of rule about alc % and the amount of time you lager, i know i read it in a book but i'm sure i also sore it repeated on here somewhere, i'll try find it

-Phill

Back