Grain Characteristics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer bum

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm about to take my first steps into ag brewing but am having some trouble finding info on the characteristics of the different types of malt grain.

I guess I'm looking for something that tells me that x grain gives me x flavour profile. A bit similar to the chart that's on the back of the Morgans 1kg liquid malt cans.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Cheers

BB

This page might be a good starting point. It's an American site but it should give you some idea. Probably best for a first ag to just go for something simple grain wise. You could just use some pale malt and some crystal. An APA or an English bitter perhaps. Or try one of John Palmer's recipes. :beer:

Ive read many books regarding this little problem. Some useful, but many useless!! :blink: Most of my knowledge has come from the old "try it and see motto"
The same as any ingredients in brewing.

I would however recommend you buy 'Designing great beers - by Ray Daniels"
That book gives a basic guide to most grains and shows an idea of used amounts in each beer style. A good little booster for flavour profile knowledge.

Regards,

Mudsta :beerbang:

P.S. the cheapest copy of that book i found at amazon.com

Thanks guys,

Stuster, that link is what i'm looking for.

Cheers

Back